Silicone Vs Metal Bakeware

Decorating By Madragal Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm by sillywabbitz

Madragal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madragal Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 6

Recently I have been looking for some new pans, and one thing that I notice is that silicone seems to be less expensive than the metal pans, but one thing that I also notice is that when I go to cake decorating stores, or baking specialty stores, I do not see a lot of silicone anything.

I have never used silicone bakeware/cookware before, so my question is, is there a benefit or a disadvantage to using silicone over metal pans? Are the cakes dryer, take longer to cook, lose or gain anything? Logically, I look at silicone bakeware and see how it can be far more convenient, but at the sake of losing quality, I would rather not spend the money.

What are your opinions? Anybody have experience in both?

Thanks!

5 replies
carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:03am
post #2 of 6

I got a silicone "big top cupcake pan" and it's like turning blood into wine. I hate baking with it...it never bakes right icon_sad.gif

I'm not sure if it's because it's a giant cupcake shape or because it's silicone. I would try the other silicone pans out, but I bought them and used them originally to make soap..so making cake in them is a no-go.

Do you have a dollar tree store near you? They sell some silicone little pan and you could test it out from those. I've also found a silicone brownie pan at the thrift store, so try yours just encase icon_smile.gif

Madragal Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 6

Gosh! I apologize. I didn't get an email letting me know somebody responded, and completely forgot about this question, haha!

I do have a Dollar Tree, so I will definitely head over there and get a couple to practice with. It seems like easier clean up, but if the cakes don't come out right, it doesn't make sense to me to spend too much money on them.

I saw the giant cupcake pan in the silicone mold, which made me think of it.

Thanks for your thoughts icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 6

My kids got me a silicone bundt pan for Christmas one year. I did ask for it, so I didn't feel so bad donating it to Goodwill after one use. I thought the outside of the cake was slick or slimy, not nice and crusty and baked like a cake should be, IMO.

Madragal Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 6

lol, at least it was quickly donated to Goodwill! Hm, I wonder why it would be slimy. Perhaps the silicone just can't conduct heat well enough, I imagine.

Thanks for your thoughts icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 6

I dislike like all of my silicone pans. Even the silicone pans for my regular cupcakes don't bake up right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%