Coconut Milk & Almond Joy

Baking By Jannie92869 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 12:02pm by Jannie92869

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 8

I have an idea.....

I would like to make a cake that taste like an almond joy candy bar. I plan to use my white cake recipe done in 2 layers....sub the regular milk with coconut milk, put in some chopped coconut flakes in the batter...The cake will be covered in chocolate with crushed almonds and chocolate in between layers and on top.

Can I evenly subsitute my regular milk with coconut milk? Because the coconut milk is rich..should I eliminate some of the sugar?

Thanks

7 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 8

I would substitute it equally. Coconut milk may be rich but it shouldn't be sweetened, so no need to cut down on the sugar.

Sounds delicious! thumbs_up.gif

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 8

coconut milk alone won't give it a strong enough coconut taste. IMO. I would try to add some cream of coconut with the coconut milk and coconut flavoring. That is what I do in my coconut cake. Sometimes I cover it in ganache with a coconut cream filling and it taste like a mounds bar.....haven't tried it with almonds yet icon_smile.gif I'll have to do that sooooon...sounds yummy!

Jannie92869 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for your replies. I will sub it equally and leave the sugar in as well.

Thanks

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 8

I am making a coconut cake today too! I sub coconut milk for the liquids too. Some coconut milk is sweetened- in which case you should cut some of the sugar out or you will end up with a chewy texture. If it's unsweetened though, don't worry about that. You should add some coconut extract though- the other posters are right about it not being "coconutty" enough with just the milk. You can also make a dark chocolate "ganache" with coconut milk instead of cream and add some extract to that as well and pour it over the cake while warm. (It can't be whipped though)

Jannie92869 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 8

O.k. thanks. I looked on the can...it doesn't say anything about sugar or being sweetened....I may leave the sugar?

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #7 of 8

If its unsweetened cocnut milk you will definitely need to put the normal amount of sugar in the cake! I didn't mean to leave you hanging- I was busy caking today! I hope it turned out well!

Jannie92869 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 8

Haven't tried it yet...but I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%