Any Ideas For A New Orleans Themed Wedding Cake?

Decorating By eatdessert1st Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm by PatricesPieces

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 26

I'm not familiar with New Orleans and a friend requested her wedding cake to reflect a bit of her hometown of New Orleans. I've googled for some ideas but only came up w/ a few... any ideas will be very appreciated!!

Melanie Mc.

25 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 26

New Orleans is home to 'Madigras' (sp) so how about a really colourful
cake about that? icon_smile.gif

Amaranthine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amaranthine Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 26

Mardi Gras colors would be appropriate: Purple, yellow, and green. Items like masks, fake gold coins, and shiny plastic bead necklaces, and clowns/jesters wearing said masks and colors are also associated with the festivities.

King Cake (which usually looks like a festive mess covered in goopy icing) is also a Mardi Gras tradition, and there's usually a little plastic baby or some other trinket hidden inside. However, according to tradition, whoever finds the baby is obliged to supply the next cake for Mardi Gras. Since it's a wedding, it could just be for fun. Or, um, or maybe a fertility symbol.

The city has its own distinctive architecture. When I think of New Orleans, I think of beautiful wrought iron balconies. Perhaps some elaborate piping or stringwork that reflects that?

Other things associated with the New Orleans area: Voodoo, jazz, booze, the Fleur-de-lis symbol (New Orleans had a strong French influence), shrimp, alligators, bullfrogs.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 26

My very first cake was Mardi Gras theme and it was fun to make. Not sure if it would be appropriate for a wedding or not, but you are welcome to take a look in my photos and see.

Good luck!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 26

My first thought was Mardi Gras as well.Purple and Green...King cakes...

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 26

I'm sure that since it is a wedding cake, she will want it elegant... I would go with a design incorporating fleur-de-lis.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisviz

I'm sure that since it is a wedding cake, she will want it elegant... I would go with a design incorporating fleur-de-lis.

I was thinking the same thing with the fleur-de-lis. Very New Orleans. Can't do a New Orleans themed cake without adding that somewhere.

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 26

Being from Baton Rouge myself, I can say if you were to do the Mardi Gras colors it would look cheesy. Now if you did a pastel purple or green fluer de lis and had gold trim on it that would work. Also look at the architecture in New Orleans and you will see that a lot of the "look" of it is very classic and beautiful! Good luck and if you need any more insight on the area let me know icon_smile.gif

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 26

I am from New Orleans and I can testify to the fact that it is not New Orelans style without the Fleur De Lis ....Afew magnolias would lend a typical southern feel also

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 26

P.S. also a magnolia wouldn't hurt!

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 26

!??!?!? "covered in crude oil"... what an AWFUL, hateful and not appropriate thing to say. Many folks have lost their livelihood due to the disaster in the Gulf. The Louisiana gulf oyster business has been decimated for many years if not forever. And you think it's 'cute' and that you 'had' to say it??? WRONG!

I LOVE New Orleans.

To the OP - check with the bride about her favorite things about New Orleans. If she loves The Camellia Grill, Brennan's, Commander's Palace - bring in elements of their colors. DEFINITELY the Fleur de Lis. There are the gorgeous Live Oaks in City Park, there is the New Orleans Museum of Art that has some great neoclassical details you can incorporate. There are so many directions you can go without having to resort to Mardi Gras - UNLESS she wants that incorporated...and that can be done very beautifully and without being cheesy. If she loves Mardi Gras, is there a favorite Krewe? Does she love the Saints? What neighborhood represents "home" to her Uptown, Mid City, Garden District, Bywater, Gentilly, Irish Channel, Treme'...

lacklin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacklin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 26

Fleur de lis for sure. Also I think of jazz and Beignets along with what has already been mentioned. Love New Orleans!

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 26

I am not a big fan of the way this cake is stacked, but the design would definitely be appropriate....without screaming MARDI GRAS!
LL

eatdessert1st Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 26

WOW! Thank you SO much for all of the great suggestions! I really like the fleur de lis idea...I was thinking that maybe Mardi Gras colors might not be real appropriate for a wedding... but the muted shades, as suggested, might work. I'll run it by the bride. Love the pic with the gold accents... very elegant. Thank you, again, to all who posted. I really appreciate your time and ideas icon_smile.gif

Melanie Mc.

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:57pm
post #15 of 26

When I think of New Orleans, I think of Mardi Gras, King Cake, Jazz, Fleur-De-Lis, Cafe Du Monde (Home of the famous Beignets).. If you go to N.O. you have to eat a beignet. So much about N.O. It's an amazing city that's for sure. Also, I have to agree with what "Wendl" said. I'm in FL and a lot of businesses are hurting here as well.

1456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1456 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #16 of 26

how about a cake with a mask on top(silver , white or gold) and , with magnoilias and fluer de lis incorpated all over it
some touches done in silvers or golds .

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #17 of 26

I am directly south of New Orleans and I have to say that Mardi Gras colors done correctly can be very elegant and not cheesy IMHO. (pastels would remind me of a babyshower). You would have to use very deep colors so it wold look regal. Definitely the metallic gold like in the previously posted pic.

If she wants something more traditional, a simple cake with colored flowers, and a detailed mask on top. Or like previously stated the fleur de lis can be gorgeous on cakes.

"LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER"

Can't wait to see some pics!

heddahope Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:33am
post #18 of 26

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-689697-.html

I just saw this on the forum and thought of this thread.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:58am
post #19 of 26

To the OP who was offended by my crude oil "joke".
My family has made their living from the Gulf of Mexico for generations. I have been fishing in those salt marshes many times as well as Pontchartrain.
Sometimes the best medicine in the face of disaster is to laugh.
(Mod edited for content.)

eatdessert1st Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #20 of 26

Minniecuppie,
I was not offended by your post. I'm sure everyone's hearts go out to all who have their livlihoods threatened by the oil spill. I didn't take your idea to heart but in the spirit of tongue in cheek as it was meant.

To all who have posted such helpful cake ideas...thank you again! I'll have some great ideas to present to my bride friend. She lived in NO for most of her life but has been an Alabamian for a couple of decades now. It's funny... until I met original NO folks I thought they had a NY accent icon_lol.gif
Went to NO on a business trip w/ my DH a few months ago and got to spend some time in the District and ate at The Court of Two Sisters. WOW! Highly recommend that restaurant to anyone going to NO.

Melanie Mc.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:08am
post #21 of 26

I love that ironwork that covers the balconies in the French Quarter.
And people - can we please keep the politics out of the posts? That's a no-no here.
(The mods and site owners get a little testy about it.)

heddahope Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #22 of 26

The ironwork is gorgeous!!

yanira1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yanira1973 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:08am
post #23 of 26

fleur d lis

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 8:58am
post #24 of 26

who dat? icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:08am
post #25 of 26

To the moderator that edited my post...thanks. My temper has been a bit short lately and it didn't help that a barge ran over a well head yesterday and now there is more spewing oil. UGH!
To the OP that needs the idea..a lacy white cake that replicates the beautiful iron work of the 'Quarter would be perfect!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #26 of 26

Here is an idea for a NO wedding cake if the bride is into masks. Here is a picture of one I did in white with some masks.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1301578

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%