Cake Oozing???? Help Please!

Business By maecpc Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 3:06am by Rose_N_Crantz

maecpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maecpc Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:19am
post #1 of 12

So I have done my first 7 cakes no problem then the last 2 I have done have oozed (a clearish/yellow liquid around the bottom) after a few hours it seems to be just seeping out from under the fondant any suggestions or does anyone know what it might be? I use homemade MMF and buttercream and BC cake mix with sourcream and pudding added in. Is it the cake mix? the fondant? the buttercream? The temp was only 68. So I am pretty sure it wasn't that. If you think its the buttercream then what Icing do you use??? HELP PLease!

11 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:29am
post #2 of 12

What sort of filling do you use?
Which buttercream recipe?
How are you storing your cakes?

I had this happen to one cake when I used marshmallow fluff as a filling (though I did 2 other cakes from the same batch of cake and same batch of BC with the same filling on the same day that didn't ooze) - never happened before or since so I figured it was the filling.

maecpc Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:40am
post #3 of 12

So I have done my first 7 cakes no problem then the last 2 I have done have oozed (a clearish/yellow liquid around the bottom) after a few hours it seems to be just seeping out from under the fondant any suggestions or does anyone know what it might be? I use homemade MMF and buttercream and BC cake mix with sourcream and pudding added in. Is it the cake mix? the fondant? the buttercream? The temp was only 68. So I am pretty sure it wasn't that. If you think its the buttercream then what recipe?

Icing What sort of filling do you use?
Which buttercream recipe?
How are you storing your cakes?

I had this happen to one cake when I used marshmallow fluff as a filling (though I did 2 other cakes from the same batch of cake and same batch of BC with the same filling on the same day that didn't ooze) - never happened before or since so I figured it was the filling

This had a raspberry filling. I just leave my cakes out after I finish them. I don't have a big enough fridge to put them in and I don't want to cover them or anything after all my hard work. Should I be? My buttercream recipe is
1/2 cup margerine
1/2 cup shortening
8 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-4 Tblsp milk

PiccoloChellie Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #4 of 12

Hm, that's an odd one. What sort of raspberry filling - homemade, jam, or sleeve?

The only thing that looks a little unusual to me is the use of margarine in your buttercream. I've done doctored box cakes with raspberry filling, buttercream, and marshmallow fondant and haven't had any sort of ooze like you're describing. Is there a reason you prefer margarine to butter?

I use either Indydebi's or Sugarshack's buttercream.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5163/sugarshacks-icing-and-tips

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:38am
post #5 of 12

Have you tasted the liquid that oozed out? Is it sweet or oily or both? That might be a clue.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:50am
post #6 of 12

Are you using a simple syrup on your cake?

maecpc Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 12

No I am not using a simple syrup.

I actually used butter in this recipe even though it said to use margerine.

The raspberry filling was a canned pie filling

The ooze tasted sweet and was kinda oily

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 12

How much filling are you using? Do you use a stiff BC dam?

maecpc Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 12

Not using much filling only like a 1/4" layer or less. Yes i tube a ring of BC around the edge before filling.

PiccoloChellie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #10 of 12

Hm.
Are you letting your cakes cool completely before icing them? This almost sounds like the inside layer of your fondant or some of the buttercream is breaking down and leaking out. The cakes aren't sitting near a warm stove, are they?

maecpc Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #11 of 12

I let my cakes cool overnight, then freeze them for however long and when I thaw them I either leave it overnight or for at least 4 hours before icing. Then i let it set for at least 3 hours after i crumb coat before I cover in fondant. I am so frustrated please help!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #12 of 12

I have noticed that when I make american buttercream that uses half or all butter, a little bit of yellowish oily liquid collects on the surface of the frosting if it's been sitting in a bucket for about a day. I usually just stir it back in. I always figured it was from the butter because I haven't noticed it when I use an all shortening buttercream.

Could just be the weather, too humid or something. It has been very humid in my area lately.

And in regards to your buttercream recipe, I as well would never use margarine in buttercream.

You could experiment by making a buttercream with all shortening, see if you like that better. I'm hesitant to say the oily leakage could be from the filling. You said it was yellowish. I would think any leakage from the raspberry filling would be red.

I'm thinking it's from the buttercream. You may need to tweak the recipe, use a little less butter if you want.

Ooohh! I just thought of something right before I was ready to hit the submit button. I always have a stick of butter in a butter dish in my kitchen for bread or whatever. I noticed that when I get the generic brand of butter, the stick that sits out seems to "melt or sag" on the plate. Know what I mean? But I started using Land O Lakes and I haven't noticed that. It's like the stick of butter holds it's shape better. If you've been using generic butter, maybe you could try going for the name brand.

Just a few options to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%