Want To Make A Barnyard Cake For My Son`s

Decorating By tory24 Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm by Bskinne

tory24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tory24 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a cake with the barn and animals and all. Any ideas on how to make the barn yard? I've seen that some people carve out pound cake. Why pound cake? How do you do it.

Thanks so much to anyone that could help.

4 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 5

my guess is pound cake because it is easier to carve a more dense cake than one that is more light and fluffy.

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 5

I just did one for my niece. The mom showed me a picture and asked for white cake. I did my own spin on the cake and cupcakes. She wanted cupcakes for the kids. I used WASC and raspberry filling. I actually used left over cupcakes to make the barn. I just stacked with buttercream in between and used skewers down the middles ( straws or dowels would have been big in my opinion). I covered it with bc and layered with fondant strips to look like boards. I am new and not sure how to add a picture but here is a link to the picture. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have, just pm me!! Good luck!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1724268.html

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 5

I've done a barnyard, take a look at my photos... I did a square cake and then piped a fence around it... have also made a John Deere tractor. I have carved with WASC and had no problems either. Good Luck!!!

hth,

Kim

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 5

I've done a barn, too, you can see it in my pics, but I didn't need that big of one so I torted a 8" sq., cut it in half and stacked. I doweled that, put a board down, and used another torted 8" square half plus one more layer from the other side of the cake (3 thin layers) on top of the board... I doweled that in the middle and then shaved the roof shape out. If I had to do it over again, I would have made each roof panel out of gumpaste and put used that so it would have had a cleaner roof to it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%