Please Help! Bubble Blowouts In Fondant

Decorating By kentuckyjode Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm by Karen421

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 11

Oh I just want to cry....it seems that every cake i make and cover w fondant ends up up a bubble sooner or later...wht am I doing wrong? I freeze the cake, take it out, crumb coat it, put it in fridge to thaw more then put a layer of bc on it.....then i cover w fondant and usually put in fridge till take to wedding....lately there is a bubble that forms, not right away, but maybe a few hours later.....my cakes look beautiful and then...the bubble...please help....I have two big weddings in the next two weeks!!!Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

10 replies
kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 11

Anybody?????

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 11

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your fondant. It's such a nightmare when bubbles occur!

It could be one of two things. Either you're over kneading your fondant and therefore putting airbubbles into it, or when you lay it on the cake, there is an airpocket under your fondant. When you're covering your cake, check very carefully for the slightest bubble as they start out small and get bigger if you leave them!

When I roll out my fondant, if I see any airbubbles in my fondant I take my scriber or a clean pin and pop it, pushing any surrounding air out. If a small bubble appears in my fondant when I've laid it, I do the same thing and then go over it with a smoother to eliminate the little pin hole.

Hope this helps!

Natalie

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 11

IMO it is because your cakes are so cold, and then when they start to come to room temp... then u get blow outs.....

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 11

You never want to put the final coating of either BC or fondant on a cold cake. What I do is take it out of the freezer, fill and crumbcoat it then let it sit and settle to come to room temp for at least 3 hours and then cover it. I rarely have bubbles this way. I DO watch the cake for the next two hours to make sure none are forming...if you catch them quickly you may be able to smooth them out...but once they get too big there is no smoothing. HTH

Cat

carrywilsonhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrywilsonhome Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 11

I cover nearly freezing cold cakes with no issues ever.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #7 of 11

I chill my room temp cakes in the freezer for about 30 minutes before applying the fondant. That way, it's only cold on the very outside. Takes almost no time to come back to room temp and I never get blowouts.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #8 of 11

I also think it is because the cakes are cold all the way through. I have had that happen before, when I got into a hurry and didn't allow my cake to thaw properly.

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #9 of 11

I feel your pain. Lately I have been experiencing tons of bubbles. I cover them, they look great, go to bed and get up and all the tiers have bubble disasters. I truly think that it's the bc pulling away from the cake. I tried crumbcoating, letting it crust over and then ice again and that still didn't work. I think it's because I use a 1/2 and 1/2 recipe for my bc rather than all crisco. I only have trouble when we have hot weather.

I have tried a few things, nothing so far is working and I don't want to resort to using all crisco bc, it would be nasty nasty.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:31am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I chill my room temp cakes in the freezer for about 30 minutes before applying the fondant. That way, it's only cold on the very outside. Takes almost no time to come back to room temp and I never get blowouts.

I do the same. I put mine in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Actually I believe that I learned that tip from Sharon (sugarshack) if I'm not mistaken. Works great...I also never get blowouts. thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I do the same. I put mine in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Actually I believe that I learned that tip from Sharon (sugarshack) if I'm not mistaken. Works great...I also never get blowouts. thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gif Yes - It is on her fondant video and you are right it works great! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%