Help With Icing Please

Decorating By amarilloyankee Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 2:37am by carlee521

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 15

Ok so my hubby has a birthday in a couple of weeks. I am going to attempt a guitar cake for him. Anyways, he HATES Buttercream and Fondant(he's only tried the MMF I attempted last week). He told me he loves the canned frosting ugghh!!! What can I make that tastes similar but better than the canned stuff?

14 replies
SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 15

Ganache?

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 15

Ganache tastes like 'canned frosting'????? YIKES
I am so glad I haven't tried making it yet. Gross!!!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

Ganache tastes like 'canned frosting'????? YIKES
I am so glad I haven't tried making it yet. Gross!!!!!

Absolutely NOT!!!! Ganache is nothing more than chocolate and heavy whipping cream. To compare it to canned icing is an insult to ganache and the French icon_lol.gif

I think maybe the pp was just suggesting ganache rather than comparing it to canned icing. icon_eek.gif Surely thumbs_up.gif

cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 15

mamawrobin ~
Well I am sure glad to hear this!!!! When the weather breaks or in the autumn,
I was going to make up some for pouring and whipping because it sounded like
it would be awesome. Thank you so much for setting me straight!!! icon_smile.gif

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 15

Swiss Meringue? I personally haven't tried it but I know a lot of CCer's have. Is it just straight buttercream he doesn't like? you can always flavor the buttercream.

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

mamawrobin ~
Well I am sure glad to hear this!!!! When the weather breaks or in the autumn,
I was going to make up some for pouring and whipping because it sounded like
it would be awesome. Thank you so much for setting me straight!!! icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gif I would hate for you to never try it under the assumption that it taste like canned icing icon_eek.gif It IS awesome. The only problem that I have with it is eating too much of it. I mean...chocolate and heavy cream...how can you go wrong with that thumbs_up.gif

cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 15

All I can say is THANK YOU so much again!!! I'm really looking forward
to trying it. And you're right, you can't go wrong with CHOCOLATE & CREAM!!
Yuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

amarilloyankee Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 15

He just thinks canned icing is the best!!! I dont know if he has honestly tried anything else!!! Ugghh I have made chocolate buttercream, chocolate toffee buttercream and regular indydebi buttercream and he thought they were too sweet!

So any suggestions? I really want to do the guitar sculpted cake for him as a surprise but the icing thing is killing me

cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 15

I wish I had a good memory because there is a BC recipe that isn't supposed
to be too sweet. Something like Baker's Icing??? There is some corn starch
in the recipe.

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:39pm
post #11 of 15

Honestly..canned icing is much sweeter to me than most of the icings that I've made. Maybe it's a 'mental block' with your husband......LOL....

Ganache with semi-sweet chocolate and heavy whipping cream would be a great alternative to bc. It's sweet but not like buttercream.

amarilloyankee Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 15

Ok I will have to try it I guess..how would you decorate a cake with it?

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 15

I don't have help with icing because I only bake as a hobby, and know nothing compared to the wealth of info. from other cc posters.

What I do know is husbands. Yeah, I've be married for a long, long time. So, my advice is trick him! I think people tend to like what they are use to. We all change our taste for things over time, especially as we taste more homemade, less processed foods. So, maybe start out with a can of frosting and add homemade buttercream to it? Then each time you make a cake reduce the canned stuff, until he is used to the homemade?
Maybe it is not the "sweetness" but he does not like the flavoring, extracts you use? Try different extracts. Last but not least, try to make this into a quest for a tasty frostig and get him involved in making and tasting the frosting with you and suggesting different options?

I am just guessing here-I have never had anyone who has eaten a cake with homemade icing like the canned stuff better.

Other than that, try some of the other types of frosting recipes here and online: cream cheese, seven minute, boiled frosting, SMBc and IMBC.

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 15

Probably a stupid question but did you add salt to your buttercream recipes? I don't like them too sweet either and I add quite a bit of salt to cut down on the sweet.

carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #15 of 15

My dad hates buttercream, cream cheese and most canned frostings because they are too sweet.

He loves boiled milk frosting..I would suggest to try that..it is very rich (or that could just be me..I'm lactose intolerant)

I really liked the boiled milk. I made it today for the first time it's not a crusting frosting so I guess you could "hot spatula" smooth it. My dad wanted coconut all over it...so I didn't bother trying to figure that out...just yet

I've heard other CC'ers say to use popcorn salt cause it's finer. I found some at walmart yesterday, not to sure about using it just yet since I was making boiled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%