Help On Doing This Cake

Decorating By Tinabarena Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm by Tinabarena

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked to do this cake. The girl wants it to feed 30-40 people. What size cake should I use? I'm thinking that I'll have to layer the cake for the height. I'm never sure how to estimate serving sizes when it's a carved cake. I've done carved cakes for family so I'm relatively comfortable with doing it, but this time, it's for an actual customer so I want to make sure I get it right. icon_biggrin.gif

Also...what would you suggest I charge for this cake? My prices are relatively low (from what I'm told) ($25 for an 8"round/$90 sheet cake/$2 slice for tiered)

Any suggestions is appreciated! TIA

4 replies
cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 5

To get enough servings, you could always put the fish on top of a quarter sheet cake.

Tinabarena Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 5

Doy! That was smart! Thank you - I didn't even think of that! Some days...I don't know how I make it through the day!

I'm still thinking price though...would $125 be too much? It'd really be do cakes and a lot of fondant...oh, and a lot of work...

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 5

I did a fish cake and suggested a tackle box to get the servings. I charged $125...it's in my pics. They loved it!

Tinabarena Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 5

wow, you do great work! I will suggest the tackle box too. Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking $125 is a good price.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%