Some Help, Please!

Decorating By Gkfurrow Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 3:48am by tesso

Gkfurrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gkfurrow Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 14

I wonder if someone could please tell me how to use (and what to use) for "basting" a cake before icing it. I have seen videos that do that before they start icing. I believe it is used to retain moisture in the cake. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Glenda thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:34am
post #2 of 14

icon_confused.gif are you talking about crumb coating the cake? where you can take a basting brush and brush off all the crumbs, then put on a fine coat of icing?

I have never heard of basting a cake...hmm.. if someone on here has.. I cant wait to find out what it is !! icon_smile.gif

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #3 of 14

I have mainly seen alcohol used. I think it is generally about 1/3 cup brushed on with a pastry/bbq brush.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #4 of 14

Well, basting probably isn't the right term, since now I'm thinking turkey, lol....
Some people spread on apricot or other jams/preserves prior to icing. It's just heated/thinned to a good consistency to brush on....

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:44am
post #5 of 14

what I do is after I have torted the cakes and leveled them I brush on a very thin coat of 50/50 water and sugar mixture. A simple syrup. this helps to keep the cake fresh but I found it also kind of put a seal on the cake so it is easier to frost my cakes.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:47am
post #6 of 14

As I'm reading the post, it sounds like you are asking about the simple syrup that Brendabeeper is referring to. Many people do use this to help retain/add moisture.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 14

can do flavored simple syrups as well.

flavor the sugar/water mixture with extracts, flavor oils, etc.

can even use juices.

do blends of alcohol and the above.

possibilities are limitless

can be poured on for a heavy effect or can be brushed on with a pastry brush (which looks a lot like basting)

tesso Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:55am
post #8 of 14

learn something new everyday. I knew someone on here would have a clue!! icon_biggrin.gif

Gkfurrow Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #9 of 14

Oh my!!! I wasn't expecting replies so soon. Thank you!!

I used the word "basting" because I couldn't think of how to describe what I was talking about. When I saw it being done - it sure looked like basting to me!! LOL

Mmmm!! Turkey!! That sounds really good, with some mashed potatoes and gravy!! Is it Thanksgiving yet??? LOL

Thank you again for all the quick replies!!

Glenda

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:12am
post #10 of 14

Apparently there are a bunch of forum hounds here. LOL. I can admit, I've got a problem. Waaaaaaay too addicted to this site!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendabeeper

what I do is after I have torted the cakes and leveled them I brush on a very thin coat of 50/50 water and sugar mixture. A simple syrup. this helps to keep the cake fresh but I found it also kind of put a seal on the cake so it is easier to frost my cakes.

This is the same concept of using a jam or preserve. I've seen books instruct this method of crumb coating.

Sandy

Gkfurrow Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #12 of 14

I surely can understand how easy it would be to be addicted to this site - especially if you are serious about making and decorating cakes. I think it is wonderful that everyone is so willing to share their knowledge.

I joined the forum last year. I had taken 3 Wilton courses, and found this site while surfing around the internet. I had only been a member for a short amount of time and had a meltdown trying to get my finale cake (tiered) ready to go to class. Long story, short!! I put all my cake decorating supplies away, never to be seen again. Well, I took them out of the closet for the first time just last night.

My daughter and I decided that we should get everything back out and do something with it. There was way too much money spent to just put it in the back of the closet and forget it. SO - we got together today and practiced some of the flowers we had learned in class. And, we are getting together again tomorrow to do the same thing. Then, on Friday, we are each baking a cake, and getting together to ice and decorate them. We decided on a cake that we had done in class - it is oval shaped, and has a lot of flowers (mixed) on it, has two color flow bluebirds on it, and has basket weave around the entire cake. Boy, practicing today, I realized how much I truly love the art of decorating. I do, however, have a long way to go. I will just be happy to make a rose bud, and the Wilton rose.

Didn't mean to write a novel, but thanks for "listening"!! It's great to be back in the fold!!

Glenda

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #13 of 14

Welcome back, Glenda. icon_biggrin.gif

tesso Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:48am
post #14 of 14

Welcome back to the addiction chicky!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%