Silly Beginner Basic Question - Bc Storage

Decorating By gavsgirl Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm by kimbordeaux

gavsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gavsgirl Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing my first cake this weekend, a prototype of what I will do again in about 2 weeks for my sons 3rd birthday. I've never done a "real" cake before so I want to get some practice in. But I realized that in all my research for decorating and such I had some really silly basic questions.

I plan on icing in indydebi's BC. I hope to make my sons cake the day before the party. How far in advance can you make a cake iced in BC? Does the cake need to be refrigerated? How long can the cake stay out if it does? I live in South Carolina and last year on his birthday it was over 100 degrees. We are having the party indoors but still, it gets warm in here. I just don't know the proper storage for a cake. I feel stupid considering all the investigating and questioning I did about fondant and gumpaste for the decoration that I didn't even think to ask such a basic question before lol

Thanks!

6 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 7

[quote="gavsgirl"]I'm doing my first cake this weekend, a prototype of what I will do again in about 2 weeks for my sons 3rd birthday. I've never done a "real" cake before so I want to get some practice in. But I realized that in all my research for decorating and such I had some really silly basic questions.

I plan on icing in indydebi's BC. I hope to make my sons cake the day before the party. How far in advance can you make a cake iced in BC? Does the cake need to be refrigerated? How long can the cake stay out if it does? I live in South Carolina and last year on his birthday it was over 100 degrees. We are having the party indoors but still, it gets warm in here. I just don't know the proper storage for a cake. I feel stupid considering all the investigating and questioning I did about fondant and gumpaste for the decoration that I didn't even think to ask such a basic question before lol

I usually complete my cake a day or two before it's due. NO the cake doesn't need to be refrigerated unless you're using a perishable filling.
Indydebi DOES NOT refrigerate her cakes and neither do I. Actually she has said that the only time she ever had an issue with a cake is the two times that she put one in the fridge. I refrigerated a cake once and had problems with it crusting....so I also never refrigerate.
Her icing does best if it isn't refrigerated.

It's also very hot and humid here in Arkansas. Our temperatures have been 100+ for over 2 months now.
I've kept a bc cake at room temperature for 5 days but with a houseful of teenagers I've never had one to last any longer than that. icon_lol.gif So I do know they hold well for 5 days.

I also don't refrigerate the leftover bc. I keep it in a covered bowl on the counter for two weeks or better.

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 7

Hey gavsgirl,

I haven't ran into anyone from SC on here yet. Where are you from? I'm in Pelion, Lexington County. Oh, and yes its HOT!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 7

as your neighbor to the north suffering the same heat and humidity...

It will be fine to ice day before and leave out....

that is...

if you trust all family members, including curious b-day boy, to keep their hands off of it. Amazing how fast that cake can be wrecked by inquisitive little boys.

as for leftovers, yep can leave out long term or freeze...

I vote for freezing -- less temptation to daily "quality control tasting" and end up with big hips and empty bowl before you know it.

gavsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gavsgirl Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. BC is my next step. I just attempted to make MMF for the first time (to use for decorations) I'm pretty sure it was a disaster. I guess we will see how it works out when I actually try to use it. My arms feel like rubber icon_sad.gif lol

kimbordeaux - I'm from Columbia, closer to Blythewood. So Hello, neighbor icon_smile.gif

I'm really nervous as this is my first cake. I will probably be back voicing my frustrations tomorrow... wish me luck lol

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

Your MMF has to rest overnight before it's the right consistency. So if you just made it and it seems too soft and stretchy, wrap it up and wait until tomorrow icon_biggrin.gif

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 7

Gavsgirl,

Cool, that's not too far. Hey, you aren't a Stalnaker are you or know any (maiden name)? I have a distant cousin in Blythewood that has recently started making cakes that's why I ask. Nice to find someone from area. Caking is not popular here so supplies are hard to find. I order most of mine online.

~KIM

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%