Help! Topsy Turvy Cake Due Tomorrow Night!

Decorating By lbain Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 7:21am by Bakingangel

lbain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbain Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:50am
post #1 of 4

Stupid me promised a topsy turvy red velvet/cream cheese cake. I made the cake and frosting, but I'm thinking that the cake is too moist. I read the article for the topsy turvy but unfortunately I do not have the money to buy every size cake pan ( I only have 10, 8, 6 rounds)to have graduated layers.

I just attempted to carve my top tier( 4" base) and I cut it down from 3 6" cakes. None the less, it looks like CRAP! I'm wondering is this just because it is such a small cake and hard to work with or is it really the cake is too moist??

Now, I'm wondering should I continue on, and try to carve the other two tiers or should I just stack them normally?

Opinions please.....

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:53am
post #2 of 4

I do think such small tiers are hard to work with and not as stable as one needs for a TT cake.
Personally I can't imagine a cake being too moist icon_smile.gif You can always dry it out by leaving it uncovered at room temp to dry out but then it will be a dry cake icon_sad.gif

afterdinnerthoughts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afterdinnerthoughts Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:13am
post #3 of 4

Chill or even freeze your cake; it will make it a little easier to work with. And continue to press on.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 7:21am
post #4 of 4

If you need a quick and short tutorial go to you tube and type in topsy turvy cake then you should see one by janellscakes. She's jsmith here on CC. You can see how she carves it so there isn't much stress on the tiers. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%