I Want True Colors...

Decorating By trenese Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 9:03am by tesso

trenese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trenese Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #1 of 5

I'm new to cake decorating and currently use Wilton gel colors, but I find that most of the colors are not true colors or you have to use a lot of coloring esp. for red and black. What brand are you using to get true coloring?
TIA

4 replies
cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:05am
post #2 of 5

I used Wilton for years and got frustrated with the amount of color needed to make vibrant colors. The little jars alone are enough to frustrate me! I recently purchased Americolor (you can find it all over the place online...globalsugarart.com has it) and LOVE it! I can't get over how different it is! Just a small amount makes such vibrant colors!! The Hannah Montana cake and the Spongebob cake were made with Americolor....Electric pink and Electric blue. I could never make such deep colors with Wilton without using the whole jar!

carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:44am
post #3 of 5

I agree..ditch the wilton jars...after my purple leaked in my container..I cleaned it out twice and then my blue and green did it...those lil jars are my enemy!

The supply store near me doesn't sell americolor but they sell ateco "spectrum" and I love them! I used super black and colored white buttercream black..it was a dark charcoal gray and I said "good enough" woke up in the morning to it being the perfect black I needed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S1C6/?tag=cakecentral-20

I used the super red and royal blue to make 4th of july cupcakes and I couldn't be happier!
LL
LL

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:51am
post #4 of 5

Cool, Y'all are convincing me to switch off of wilton colors- I did not know there was another way besides airbrushing

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:03am
post #5 of 5

Americolor all the way. I also have some of kountry kitchen, they are okay too. but i love my americolors. especially the electric colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%