Suggestions For A Good Quality Pastry Mat?

Decorating By barleysbakery Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 3:19am by chellescountrycakes

barleysbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barleysbakery Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 6

The Wilton mats I bought for rolling out fondant are just not cutting it. Any suggestions for good pastry mats for use in rolling out fondant in addition to other doughs as well?

5 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 6

do you mean like a silicon mat?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #3 of 6

Ateco has an awesome blue one. Decopac . com carries it for about $18.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #4 of 6

I have silpats and the Ateco blue silicone mat and the one I prefer is........drum roll............my $2 worth of heavy duty vinyl I bought from WalMart in the craft/sewing department icon_lol.gif

I roll all of my fondant on it with just a smear of of crisco.

I roll cookie dough between pieces of parchment, so a mat doesn't matter much.

Rae

athenarose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athenarose Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:05am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleysbakery

The Wilton mats I bought for rolling out fondant are just not cutting it. Any suggestions for good pastry mats for use in rolling out fondant in addition to other doughs as well?

I bought myself a Wilton mat earlier this year and I also was just looking for a new one cause I'm not a big fan of it. I saw one two Ateco mats both look promising. I just want one that doesn't get fold lines in it and maybe can take a little heat.

Before I had the Wilton mat I used painters plastic drop cloth, it's what I was taught to roll my fondant on. You can get it at places like Home Depo and it worked great for all these years, super cheap. I just can't get it where I live and the piece I have is beaten.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I have silpats and the Ateco blue silicone mat and the one I prefer is........drum roll............my $2 worth of heavy duty vinyl I bought from WalMart in the craft/sewing department icon_lol.gif

I roll all of my fondant on it with just a smear of of crisco.

Rae

AMEN!!

And the best part is, if it gets too icky, or you are just TOO lazy to wash it after a day of 5 cakes, toss it and you dont cry.. LOL

I cut mine in all differnt sizes. got a yard and boy does it go far!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%