Trying To Get Black Fondant

Decorating By Leahmaria7981 Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm by stlcakelady

Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 10

I need about 3 pounds of black fondant, but I only have about a third of a bottle of black left and Wal mart is out of black...as usual...and there is no one else here who sells the food colorings. Would it work for me to color it like as dark a blue as I can get then put the rest of the black in? Do you think that wuuld work?

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 10

No time to just buy it?

Leahmaria7981 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

No time to just buy it?

No one in my town sells it except Wal mart, who is out, and the closest place for me to buy some more is an hour away...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 10

If you have any assorted scraps of various colors of fondant left over, mash them all together until they look pretty much mud colored. Then use the black color on that stuff.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 10

When do you need it for?? GLOBAL SUGAR ART is having a sale on
Satin Ice, all colours. Order today and you'd most likely get it the
first of next week. They're fast on deliveries.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 10

If it's not made yet, add your color to the liquid before adding the dry ingredients. You use a lot less color this way

TSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSmith Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 10

if you have time to buy some buy it from globalsugarart.com they have any color you need and for coloring buy the ameri color from them. the black and red it just takes a little bit to actually get black. and they ship it in like 3 days. they are awsome..

Leahmaria7981 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 10

I needed it for today and forgot I was almost out of black... But I got it worked out. I colored it a deep purple then added what black I had and it's now black. Saved myself a 2 hour trip (round trip) just to buy some black food coloring. Next time I'm going to buy a ton of it...lol.

TSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSmith Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 10

go to globalsugarart.com and buy a buy bottle of it. the ameri color goes along way and you dont need much at a time. the red is good too

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 10

I made chocolate fondant with Dutch processed cocoa which makes it very dark already, then you don't have to use as much of the food coloring to get it black. Have you thought about investing in an airbrush? That way you don't have to use so much black and have a yucky taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%