Mmf On Sugar Cookies ?'s

Baking By JustABite Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm by Texas_Rose

JustABite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustABite Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 7

I am trying for the first time to put fondant on cut out cookies. (It will be just a simple circle this time.) I would like to try regular fondant and marshmallow fondant.

Questions:
Does the mmf taste good with cookies?
Can you use an impression mat on mmf?
How far in advance can I make these?
(for our cookie/coffee bar at church on Sunday)
What is the best way to store cookies covered with any fondant?

Thanks so much for any help you can give. I am so looking forward to trying new techniques!

6 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 7

icon_smile.gif Marshmallow fondant tastes WONDERFUL on cookies! I use it all the time....it's great to work with. icon_smile.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 7

I have tried to use mmf in the past for my cookies. For flat designs its good but I needed a fondant that allowed me to do other things with it. So now I use Satin Ice.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. I think fondant taste better on a cookie due to the cookie texture. They go together well. (Satin ice taste pretty good too.)

2. Yes

3. You can make them now. If i have a small order I can do them the same week they go out. If I have a larger order say like 300, I try to start about two weeks in advance as some designs will take me a long time to do. You can have your cookie dough done way in advance though.

4. Once the fondant dries (and any other technique I may have used) I bag the cookies up. If you leave a fondant cookie out for about a week you can use it as a dummy cookie to keep.

Also you can use a variety of ways to adhere your fondant to the cookie: On strait out of the oven, corn syrup, apricot jam(?), fine mist of water. I have tried them all. For me personally corn syrup is the best method.

Hope this helps.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 7

Yes
Yes
I would start them today depending on the design and how many you need to make.
I store mine in an airtight container with wax paper in between.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 7

it's funny, my husband and i just argued (playfully) about this at lunch. i made some mmf and sugar cookies last night. i was telling him i was going to cover the cookies in fondant (instead of royal icing) tonight. he thought mmf texture and taste would ruin a sugar cookie. i asked him when he ate a cookie with fondant on it? he couldn't remember (i don't think he ever did). i had to disagree with him.

let's go for it! too bad i don't have a pretty impression mat handy.

JustABite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustABite Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your replies! I did make up the mmf yesterday and I am making the cookies now.

I will also be trying some with Satin Ice so I will see which we like better.

Metria let us know what the DH thinks thumbs_up.gif .

Hopefully they will turn out nice so I can post a photo.

Thanks again!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 7

If you ever have to make a bunch or need them to be ready to bag quickly, make all of your fondant cutouts and let them dry a bit. Then put them on the cookies right when they come out of the oven, then transfer the cookies to the cooling grid. Let them cool about 15 minutes, then use your impression mat on the fondant on the cookie, or use clear acrylic stamps to make impressions, or fondant tools to add details. Add luster dust if you're going to. Let the cookies cool about another hour, and the fondant will be hard enough to stack the cookies or bag them. I've baked, decorated and bagged 50 cookies in two hours using that method before.

I usually add Lorann's butter rum flavoring to my MMF and then buttery sweet dough emulsion to my cookie dough for a cookie that tastes really rich and decadent. I've also used pineapple emulsion in the cookies and coconut extract in the MMF for pina colada cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%