Ganache Over Buttercream?

Decorating By stlcakelady Updated 6 Mar 2015 , 8:10am by Chloezee

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 36

Can I use ganache over buttercream and then put fondant over the ganache? I want the crisp edges of ganache but my people like the taste of the buttercream.

35 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 36

I iced my nephew's cake with buttercream then covered with ganache. This is what he ask for. I didn't cover with fondant though. I don't see why you couldn't. That's going to be one rich cake thumbs_up.gif

stlcakelady Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 36

Doesn't anybody else use buttercream under ganache. Some people just want the taste of the buttercream and not a rich ganache, but I want the sharp edges from it. Anybody???

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 36

Nobody else?? Am I the only one? Hey, my cake was delicious AND it looked pretty when it was cut. If you want to do it go ahead. Everyone at my nephew's party loved his cake and I got 4 more orders because of it.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 36

Never tried it, but if Mamawrobin says it can be done, then I would try it!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 36

Yes, you can do that. And it's delicious!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #7 of 36

I have done the ganache over buttercream hundreds of times. It works no problem and I'll tell you if you ice the cake with the BC, let it freeze for a bit, smooth to sharpen the edges, you can pour the ganache over and you will get those nice edges. No need for the fondant. I think fondant would be too much, but that's just me.

cutthecake Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:12am
post #8 of 36

If I'm not mistaken, there was an entire thread about this not long ago. However, I can't find it now. I think it was called "I'm never using buttercream under fondant again" or something like that.

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

If I'm not mistaken, there was an entire thread about this not long ago. However, I can't find it now. I think it was called "I'm never using buttercream under fondant again" or something like that.

I believe you're right.

To the op...I didn't pour my ganache over the buttercream. I used the 2:1 ratio and let my ganache sit overnight to thicken. I iced my cake with the buttercream and after it crusted I spread the ganache on just like another coat of icing. The cake was for my 17 year old nephew and he wanted a thick coat of buttercream and a thick coat of ganache. That cake was 9"/6" and probably weighed 10 pounds.....LOL.......It was really pretty when it was cut. I'll have to see if my sister in law has photos. Anyway....I used the hot knife method to smooth the ganache and it was as smooth as fondant. Made a very pretty cake thumbs_up.gif

I didn't refrigerate my cake at all. I never refrigerate any of my cakes.

Karen421 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I think you are thinking of this one:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:01am
post #11 of 36

I would use one or the other, If they like the taste of butter cream then i would use it as a filling. If they want a, say like ..mousse filling or etc., then I would tort each 2" and fill -then use BC inbetween those. This way they get the flavor. I read that thread, and i think it said not to use both, now this is not a poured ganche so maybe thats why..2:1 ratio in weight for chocolate a 3:1 for white choc. BY WEIGHT.
HTH ~ Blessings

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

I would use one or the other, If they like the taste of butter cream then i would use it as a filling. If they want a, say like ..mousse filling or etc., then I would tort each 2" and fill -then use BC inbetween those. This way they get the flavor. I read that thread, and i think it said not to use both, now this is not a poured ganche so maybe thats why..2:1 ratio in weight for chocolate a 3:1 for white choc. BY WEIGHT.
HTH ~ Blessings

Whether it said to or not to use both....I have used both as a request from the customer and got 4 orders because of it. Personally it's a little rich for my taste but I don't eat cake anymore anyway icon_lol.gif I did have a piece of my nephew's cake just out of curiosity and it was surprisingly GOOD icon_surprised.gif
I used buttercream for my filling as well.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:35am
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Whether it said to or not to use both....I have used both as a request from the customer and got 4 orders because of it. Personally it's a little rich for my taste but I don't eat cake anymore anyway icon_lol.gif I did have a piece of my nephew's cake just out of curiosity and it was surprisingly GOOD icon_surprised.gif
I used buttercream for my filling as well.

Well thats good to know, how did the fondant settle over the ganache? Did it stay firm?? that would be my worry, eso in the heat. BTW the poster was asking for others opinions, and i gave mine. Not saying you can't...but, I wouldn't. icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:42am
post #14 of 36

[quote="bmoser24"]

Quote:

Well thats good to know, how did the fondant settle over the ganache? Did it stay firm?? that would be my worry, eso in the heat. BTW the poster was asking for others opinions, and i gave mine. Not saying you can't...but, I wouldn't. icon_wink.gif

What do you mean "did the fondant settle over the ganache"

Ganache actually makes a much firmer foundation for fondant. Some only use ganache under fondant because you can get a sharper edge by doing so.

I'm with you on not using ganache over buttercream...I would have NEVER done that myself. Like I said it was a request...I'm glad that they did request it..otherwise I'd never done it. I've actually said before to use one or the other icon_lol.gif ya just never know....never say never I guess. icon_lol.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #15 of 36
Quote:

I didn't pour my ganache over the buttercream. I used the 2:1 ratio and let my ganache sit overnight to thicken. I iced my cake with the buttercream and after it crusted I spread the ganache on just like another coat of icing. The cake was for my 17 year old nephew and he wanted a thick coat of buttercream and a thick coat of ganache. That cake was 9"/6" and probably weighed 10 pounds.....LOL.......It was really pretty when it was cut. I'll have to see if my sister in law has photos. Anyway....I used the hot knife method to smooth the ganache and it was as smooth as fondant. Made a very pretty cake thumbs_up.gif

I love this method, and have to try it ASAP....

cutthecake Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 36

My one and only 3-tier cake (a pseudo wedding cake for our family reunion) had buttercream, ganache and fondant. It weighed a ton, cost a fortune, and was deliciously sweet.
I got the courage to do it, and most of my information, from the thread that Karen linked.

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #17 of 36

cutthecake....had to laugh when I read your post. I bet that cake weighed a ton icon_lol.gif Like I said, mine was 9/6 and it had to weigh 10 pounds....... without fondant. icon_smile.gif

stlcakelady Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm
post #18 of 36

You girls sure have encouraged me...esp you Mamawrobin! I'm gonna go for it. Can anybody recommend a good ganache recipe? I'd like one for milk choc, not necessarily dark and also a good one for white. Thanks a bunch!!!

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcakelady

You girls sure have encouraged me...esp you Mamawrobin! I'm gonna go for it. Can anybody recommend a good ganache recipe? I'd like one for milk choc, not necessarily dark and also a good one for white. Thanks a bunch!!!

I encourage you to use semisweet chocolate rather than milk chocolate...especially since you're using it over buttercream. It's a good balance but the milk chocolate is going to be so much sweeter that I really don't know how it will be over buttercream.

The recipe that I used for the ganache that I put on the buttercream is....

24 ounces (2 12oz. pks) Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups heavy whipping cream
4 tablespoons real butter
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pour chocolate chips into glass or stainless steel bowl......
In saucepan bring heavy whipping cream, sugar and butter to full boil....immediately pour over chocolate...........allow to sit for 5 minutes
Stir until chocolate is completely melted and shiny and the cream is completely incorporated.
Allow to cool before covering with plastic wrap so the condensation doesn't form on the wrap and water doesn't get into your chocolate.
Let sit overnight to thicken....spread on cake...and smooth using the hot knife method.
You may have to warm the ganache just a bit to get a better spreading consistency. That's why I use either a glass or stainless steel bowl so that I can boil a pot of water and sit my bowl down in it just to soften the chocolate enough to be able to soften it a bit for easier spreading. I just let it melt slightly and stir...you don't want it to be too soft.....spreadable but not too melty....LOL....

To use milk chocolate or white chocolate you use a 3:1 ratio. But I do strongly suggest that you use semi sweet for the cake that you're making.
thumbs_up.gif Good luck...

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #20 of 36

I'm scared of ganache. I've never tasted it, seen it, or made it. Barely heard of it until I watched the movied "Chocolat". I really, really want to make it--I've already purchased 5 containers of heavy cream that I've had to throw away because I end up doing BC or fondant and the cream got too old.

Yesterday I made a three layer hexagon cake with BC covered with FondX fondant. I cut the cake at the reception (my first time cutting a stacked cake). The cake was beautiful, but when I cut the slices, the fondant "pushed" the slice of cake downward and kinda squished it. I didn't monitor, but I don't know if anyone actually ate the fondant. Fondant is really fun, but can you do the same things with ganache or chocolate? Can you provide any links or advice?

stlcakelady Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm
post #21 of 36

Thanks for the recipe and tips! Makes sense about the milk choc. I love Ghiradelli, so that would work great. I'm gonna go for it! And no Apti, you can't do the same things with buttercream that you can do with fondant. When you cut a fondant cake, you need to use a good knife and do a sawing motion to prevent the cake from squishing down. The squishing especially happens if the cake has gotten warm.

Karen421 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm
post #22 of 36

[quote="cutthecake"]My one and only 3-tier cake (a pseudo wedding cake for our family reunion) had buttercream, ganache and fondant. It weighed a ton, cost a fortune, and was deliciously sweet.
I got the courage to do it, and most of my information, from the thread that Karen linked.[/quote

I glad that helped you! Now when people ask the question, you can tell them yes, it works, but start lifting weights now, to help get in shape!!! icon_lol.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm
post #23 of 36

I have done ganache over chocolate buttercream on a chocolate cake. Also, ganache over peanut butter buttercream on chocolate cake (I call it my "Buckeye" cake.) I could probably make a living out of these two cakes!!! People go crazy over them. I chill my buttercream frosted cake in the refrig until the buttercream is firm. Then I elevate my cake on a rack and pour warm ganache over the cake. (I use a cake board the same size as the cake so the ganache covers the edges and drips off under the rack.) Only problem is trying not to eat all the ganache that has dripped off the edges under the rack!! I use Ghiradelli 60% cocoa chips.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm
post #24 of 36

I just did this cake for my mother last week, it had chocolate SMBC and ganache poured over it then topped with sliced strawberries and then I drizzled more ganache over those. I thought it would be very rich, but the SMBC made it the perfect taste, not too rich at all. I have never done fondant over the two together though. I attached a picture of it icon_smile.gif
LL

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #25 of 36

That cake looks delicious thumbs_up.gif

Occther...that 'buckeye' cake sounds absolutely wonderful.....wish I had a piece. icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:42pm
post #26 of 36

We're talking about two different things here--poured ganache and spreadable ganache.
I don't see how you could (or why you would want to) use poured ganache under fondant.
Spreadable ganache is great under fondant because it dries firm and allows for crisp corners and sharp edges.
Take a look at Rylan's award-winning cake (he uses ganache under fondant) in this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6896586.html#6896586

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #27 of 36

Ok, I want to try it. But can you tell me how to?

Buttercream, ganache and Fondant? or just ganache and fondant?

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenell

Ok, I want ot try it. But can you tell how to?

Buttercream, ganache and Fondant? or just ganache and fondant?

I've always used just ganache/fondant or buttercream/fondant until I got the request to use buttercream/ganache (spreadable NOT poured) and fondant.
Actually the buttercream/ganache/fondant was good....I only do it as a special request but it did taste good thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #29 of 36

Buttercream--ganache--fondant! It's delicious.
Very rich and sweet, but HEY, it's cake!

Cenell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cenell Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #30 of 36

[/quote]I've always used just ganache/fondant or buttercream/fondant until I got the request to use buttercream/ganache (spreadable NOT poured) and fondant.
Actually the buttercream/ganache/fondant was good....I only do it as a special request but it did taste good thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

The ganache spreadable, is the recipe above mentioned? Sorry to bother you icon_redface.gif . I'm still learning LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%