Coloring White Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By Motta Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm by sugalips

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 7

I have a whole box full of ready made white gumpaste roses. I'd like to color them a deep raspberry/cranberry/burgundy red.

What's the best way to achieve that effect? Airbrush, petal dust? Or do I have to start with a colored rose eg. pink or red?

Thanks everyone!

6 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 7

For deep colors, you really need to start with colored gumpaste. Petal dust will give you lightly colored edges, even all-over color on the easy to get to places, but the color won't be even, and you won't get all the way down into the center. Anything liquid-based will run the risk of dissolving your flowers.

Motta Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Alimonkey! I guess I'll have to shell out for new ones. I can't make gumpaste roses to save my life!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 7

I always make my roses white and then either paint them with icing color mixed with vodka or with petal dusts. You have to watch out with red, especially Americolor super red, because it will dry a bit darker than it starts, so those neat dark red roses can look like dried blood if you're not careful.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 7

Didn't someone on a FN challenge take white roses and dip them into a mixture of food coloring and alcohol (like everclear)?

Maybe I dreamed it, but it would have been years ago. The had a tall skinny container, dipped the roses that were on a wire into it, then twirled them inside the top of the container to shake off the excess color before sitting them aside to dry.

Motta Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 7

I thought I saw Buddy Valastro take pale pink roses and color them a deep red on FN Challenge. He might have dipped them? I didn't see how he did it but he got it done very fast!!!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 7

How about the cans of color spray? I know I bought red and purple for Valentine's day... maybe not a burgundy red but certainly red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%