Cakes Too Moist & Soft???

Decorating By sanfree56 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm by eccl1-12

sanfree56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanfree56 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 6

When I bake ahead of time and wrap my cakes in plastic wrap..they are too moist and soft when I unwrap to ice and decorate. What am I doing wrong?

5 replies
MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 6

I had the same problem. I let me sit a while to kind of dry off, if that makes sense. Hopefully, someone with lots of experience will answer. icon_sad.gif

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 6

I have found that it helps to put them in the freezer for at least a little while before I fill and stack them. They are way more sturdy when they are at least partially frozen. I don't know if it would change moisture but it takes care of the soft problem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 6

I never let my cakes completely thaw before I unwrap and start to work on them. I always start when they are partially frozen for easier handling.

cakeprof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeprof Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6

Are they completely cool before you wrap them? Where and how are you storing them?

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 6

I let mine cool completely before I wrap them. They could go straight in the freezer after that; I have also been known to leave them out overnight (wrapped) and then put them in the freezer at least a little while before I started. Even a little but of firmness from the freezer helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%