Giant Cupcake Pan (Wilton) Question

Decorating By Butterpatty Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm by Butterpatty

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 11

This may sound silly, but I have never used this pan and got it as a gift. I know I will use filling/icing between the "cap cake" and the base cake, but do you cut the base cake in half horizontally and put icing there? It just seems so thick not to put something there icon_redface.gif . TIA.

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 11

I do torte the base for filling.

PS, I also have to bake in each side separately, otherwise the top is extremely overbaked by the time the base is done. As usual with Wilton, cute idea, poorly executed.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 11

I have used this pan many times and would like to offer a baking suggestion. Although I have successfully baked this as directed a time or two, I prefer to bake the top and bottom seperately. I know what I'll get each and every time. As for filling, I often torte the base. I have on occasion used a bismark tip and filled the base with a "Susie Q" style filling. This has been well received by everyone. HTH

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 11

leah,
Do you support the cupcake top with a cakeboard and legs? It seems like overkill to use SPS. (Please forgive me!)
Do you remove the cupcake top for cutting the cake? If not, the cake slice won't fit on most plates.
And baking that thing in shifts (top then bottom) is a pain.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 11

I've used the cupcake pan once....and FROM NOW ON will use a support and cakeboard between the top and bottom. It was beautiful when I finished and within two hours the bottom had settled so much that it looked squashed.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 11

cutthecake - You've found the ONE cake where I don't use SPS! Actually I don't' use any internal support, but just skewer it to the base board. Livin' on the edge I suppose. icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 11

I won't tell anyone!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 11

I've made 6 cakes using this pan and I never have used supports. I've also never had any problems with it giving in to weight or 'squishing'.

I've never had any problems with the baking either. I bake both sides at the same time and didn't have a problem with one side getting done quicker than the other. There was a thread on this pan a few weeks ago and some said they had to bake the top and the bottom separately and some didn't. Don't know why some do and some don't but that was the verdict anyway icon_lol.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 11

I have only used this pan once. I was able to bake both sides at the same time and the cakes turned out okay. I did not use supports in it at all and it didn't squash, but I also didn't torte the base. I wish I would have because it is an awful lot of cake to have no filling! My problem was having the bottom of the cupcake top visible when it sat on the cupcake base because its a little bigger in diameter than the base. Not sure how to remedy that other than to wrap the fondant underneath.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

I have only used this pan once. I was able to bake both sides at the same time and the cakes turned out okay. I did not use supports in it at all and it didn't squash, but I also didn't torte the base. I wish I would have because it is an awful lot of cake to have no filling! My problem was having the bottom of the cupcake top visible when it sat on the cupcake base because its a little bigger in diameter than the base. Not sure how to remedy that other than to wrap the fondant underneath.

I didn't cover the top of mine with fondant. I iced with buttercream and also iced the 'underside' of the top edge of the top of the cake.

I suppose you could wrap the fondant underneath. I'm going to be covering the next one that I do in fondant. I'm glad that you posted this because I hadn't thought of that.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks ladies! I am going to be doing 2 of these for my dad's party now and I am going to try one baked all at the same time and one baked in two sessions just to see how my oven does with this. If it messes up, my guys will scarf up the "experiment one"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%