How Do I Make Crisp Edges On Fondant Cakes

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 5:17am by miriamshapiro

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:39am
post #1 of 16

I am really struggling to make crisp edges on fondant cakes. I have only done round ones so far but I struggle to get them crisp. My cakes kind of slope down and are very rounded on the edges.

Here is a cake I did, it is hard to see because the strips hide it well but the bottom tier was more sloped than it should of been.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1744149

Any suggestions for this.

Thank you

15 replies
mindy1204 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:40am
post #2 of 16

Here is a link for a cake (not made by me) that has very well defined edges and it just looks crisper.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1443529

TIA

lulumama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulumama Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:47am
post #3 of 16

There was a tip a while back about which pans to use - apparently Wilton ones have sloped edges and magic line are very crisp edges.

HTH

mindy1204 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:54am
post #4 of 16

And I do use Wilton pans.. - should invest in some magic line pans.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:56am
post #5 of 16

Yes..making sure that your pans have a straight edge is a must. I have both Wilton and Magic Line...the only Wilton pans that I own that don't have a straight side is the 9 inch pans.

Also using two fondant smoothers when smoothing the cake will help to get the sharper corners/edges on your cake. Working with one smoother on the side of your cake as you work with the other on the top of your cake..if that makes any sense.

mindy1204 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 16

I only use one now so I will get another one and try it with 2 thank you!

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 16

It looks as though you might be using too much bc or a too soft bc under a thick layer of fondant? A thick layer of fondant is very heavy and will pull down a soft icing, especially if that is thick as well.

Someone once said on here, I can't remember who but it's great advice - use a thick layer of bc with a thin layer of fondant OR use a thin layer of bc (crumb coat) with a thick layer of fondant and I think that holds true.

For the crispest of corners try ganache and a thin layer of fondant.

HTH. Laurie

mindy1204 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 16

I do use a thicker layer of buttercream because most peel it off and like the icing. I will make my fondant thinner and maybe less icing.

If using ganache you wouldn't have the icing right? I havebt tried Ganache yet

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 16

Wondering about the ganache myself. Can you put buttercream underneath the ganache?

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 16

I have magic line and wilton pans. No need to throw them out or get rid of them. I just place the magic line baked cake on the top. I used ganache under fondant and it worked wonderful. You just have to make sure to get everything nice and smooth. I did find it a little difficult on the baptism book cake I made because of the curves (smoothing the the ganache). I think I will try white chocolate ganache next time.

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 16

I am wondering if IMBC will be too soft for fondant? Will the fondant pull the icing down when I try to smooth it?

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 16

I want to get those crisp edges too.

I really want to try the ganache, but everyone around me is so used to buttercream. I myself have never even tasted ganache before. I just don't want to be left with a bunch of cake if no one care for it. I hate to waste.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:26pm
post #13 of 16

Some people do have luck with IMBC under fondant, I do find it too soft personally, but again, if you use a thin layer of IMBC you can get away with it IMHO.

For ganache covered cake I use a crumbcoat of IMBC (just to fill in the nooks and crannies), then a thin (1/8" thick) layer of ganache, then a thin (1/8" thick) layer of fondant. The ganache tastes awesome, both white and dark. People think that it's part of the fondant and it's the best fondant they've ever tasted. I do use IMBC (and other fillings) INSIDE my cakes so people get buttercream as well.

Ganache has the added attraction of being more heat resistant than IMBC BUT it is more expensive.

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:26am
post #14 of 16

After icing the cake, I refrigerate till it's solid. I spray it with a light mist of water and then apply the fondant. That helps to keep the buttercream in place and not slope.

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:28am
post #15 of 16

Thanks for the tips Toptier - i am thinking of doing IMBC and choco ganache for my Wilton class cake next weekend. Going to learn how to cover a cake with fondant

miriamshapiro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriamshapiro Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:17am
post #16 of 16

What happens if you get a crumbly edge? Ex: the cake cracked a bit icon_sad.gif and you fix it with BC, then you cover it over with fondant. If you have too much BC it oozes in different directions and ruins your fondant. So what to do!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%