Help! My Modeling Chocolate's Soft!

Decorating By nayomee Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm by BlakesCakes

nayomee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nayomee Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:20am
post #1 of 6

Okay, so I really wanted to try something new, and I decided that modeling chocolate was easy and quick. Somewhere along the line, I think I screwed up, because it seems kinda soft. It doesnt seem to want to hold shape... I guess what I'd like to know is How can I make it firmer? And what did I do wrong in the first place? icon_sad.gif

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:33am
post #2 of 6

It has to rest for at least 24 hours before you can use it. Are you trying to use it right away?

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:15am
post #3 of 6

If after resting it you still find it too soft, try kneading in more melted chocolate a little at a time.... more chocolate makes it firmer and more corn syrup makes it softer. HTH

nayomee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nayomee Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 6

I left it in the fridge overnight, but it wasnt exactly 24hrs. Also, I think I may have put a little too much cornsyrup! I'll try adding a little more chocolate, and if that doesnt work, I'll start over!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 6

What recipe did you use?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 6

When I make modeling chocolate, I always sqeeze out most of the liquid before wrapping it and letting it rest overnight.

This prevents it from being overly soft & greasy. It's hard when set, but you can nuke it for a few seconds and it's fine. This also means that things you make from it will hold shape very well.

You should be able to re-melt your soft chocolate, let it cool just to the point where you can pick it up without it being too hot, squeeze out the liquid over paper towels, and then wrap it up to re-set.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%