Fondant Sliding Please Help

Decorating By thumbs Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 11:26am by thumbs

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I took an order late last week for this week against my better knowledge as I already have a packed week and this was hard to fit in, but it's a friends daughter.

The cake is a golf bag laying on it's side. I used 6 8" rounds on their sides, covered in white McCalls (Canada) fondant with black Satin Ice accents (stitching, bottom of bag, etc)

I covered the cake last night with the white and put it in the fridge to firm up. I took it out this morning to finish decorating it and it was sticky but dry again before I started adding the black accents. Well now the white is sliding pretty bad. I have it fixed the best I can with golf balls etc. But now I am terrified about what is going to happen with it for the next 2 days. I orginally was told they needed it tomorrow, but then found out this morning the party is on Saturday, which is 2 days longer then expected.

Part of me wants to put it back in the fridge to firm it up and keep it fresh for the party. But the other part of me is terrified that when it's out of the fridge and starts to sweat the black will run all over the white.

Any advice on what to do would be great. I can't tell if it has stopped sliding or not, so don't know if it will be okay if just left alone.

Also the golf clubs and zipper is covered in silver pearl dust. If it has to go in the fridge what will happen to the pearl dust?

Sorry for the long story, trying to paint the whole picture and I don't normally put cakes in the fridge so am not familiar with what happens after, but I was surprised at how much it was sweating this morning.

Thanks!!!

3 replies
thumbs Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #2 of 4

Well it is in the fridge and I am praying I made the right choice. It just seemed like every time I looked at it it seemed to be getting worse.

So fingers crossed the colours won't bleed when it comes out of the fridge. I have to drive it about 30 minutes to my friends place on Friday morning then she has to take to the party on Saturday.

So I will be warning her to clear out her fridge tomorrow so that it can stay cool between Friday morning and the party.

I feel so terrible. This is the first time I have had a major issue I can't fix. If I had the time I would truly rip it off and start again, but I just can't. I hope they understand the huge favour I was doing them by squeezing them in the first place.

Oh, I could cry!!!

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #3 of 4

I'm not an expert but what I have read many times is to never put a cake covered in fondant in the fridge. That if it is covered in fondant it will keep fresh. I know this type of problem is heart wrenching, I know I have been so stressed over things like thisicon_smile.gif I hope everything works out for you and that maybe one of the more experienced cakers on here commenticon_smile.gif

thumbs Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:26am
post #4 of 4

I know, I always read 50% of people say never put it in the fridge and the other say it's okay. So I am so confused icon_confused.gif

I don't know if it stayed on the counter it would have survived either, as the cake underneath the fondant was going down, so the cake itself needed the fridge but the fondant is now in jeopardy in the fridge icon_sad.gif

It doesn't look like it slid anymore last night in the fridge, so that at least is a good sign, but now I am terrified to take it out. I can't be a box big enough to cover it either so I won't be able to put it in a box while it sweats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%