Help With Ribbon Problem, Please!

Decorating By kentuckyjode Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 3:50am by gscout73

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I have a bride that is determined to have burgandy ribbon around the bottom of each tier of her cake. will be covered in buttercreme, hence the problem. I have tried the double tape w/ was paper thing and encased ribbon in clear contact paper...neither was totally successful....there were streaks of grease here and there. I am afraid to use burgandy fondant ribbon as i am afraid that will run at some point. Ironing with wax paper doesnt work either...turns brown. Any other suggestions? Can any one suggest a good ribbon supplier too? Thanks for any help!!

6 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 7

I have heard of people on CC here that take a small amount of shortening and pre-grease (so to speak) the ribbon so there won't BE any grease spots when it is applied. It WILL darken your ribbon so take that into consideration. Does that make sense? HTH. icon_smile.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 7

It won't run. I've used a dark red ribbon on a bc wedding cake before. Test it for yourself on a small cake or dummy. I recommend that you do put the shortening on the ribbon first if you are going to be putting it on the cake at the venue. That way the darkening process will already be complete.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 7

Check it first, I did a cake with a black ribbon, and greased it first, and it DID run color. It was a good thing I checked first...that would have been a disaster.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:12am
post #5 of 7

I had the same type question for my sons wedding cake. I wound up using left over 'tulle', which doesn't absorb grease.
When I asked my question, someone recommended wrapping a strip of wax paper around the cake, then wrapping the ribbon over the wax paper fastening with corsage pins for easy removal.
This sounded like a good idea to me. I want with another idea so I haven't actually used this method as of yet.
Good Luck, I hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 7

if you can find a color fast ribbon and grease it then that would work, colorfast doesn't react to water, fabric stores have it. you can ask

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #7 of 7

I like the idea of the thin strip of wax paper underneath. By greasing satin ribbon and darkening it, you will be making a decision to change the color from what the bride wants and then, judging by some recent posts, setting yourself up for a demand for a refund. I would check your options first. I'd hate to see you set yourself up for future problems.

I myself try to stear clear of statin ribbon on BC for just that reason. The only time I actually agreed to ribbon it was not satin but a maroon color mesh style ribbon.
Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%