7Qtmixers - Viking Vs Cuisinart

Decorating By cheriej Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 3:58am by cheriej

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 13

I've been researching a larger mixer because my KA 5QT isn't large enough and I do not like the 6QT design. The Cuisinart 7Qt. is on sale now at Macy's online but I have some concerns that I read about in the reviews. Apparently the Cuisinart shakes at higher mixing speeds. I actually saw it do that on a youtube video. I also wonder if their bowl design is optimal for cakes and cookies. It looks too cone shaped and I have concerns about the batter mixing well.

The Viking I have seen online looks like a better bowl design. The bowl and the way the beater blade work looks like it would incorporate ingredients better than Cuisinart.

Has anyone used the Viking mixer and what do you think of it?

12 replies
Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 13

I have the Cuisinart 7 Qt. and love it! I haven't experienced what you describe. If the counter or table top isn't sturdy and level, anything will shake.

Because of the shape of the bowl, I find that it mixes better than my Kitchen Aid 6Qt. The plastic shield splash shield is great too because it fits flat against the top of the bowl and keeps the contents inside much better than the Kitchen Aid.

Good luck.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 13

I also have the Cuisinart 7qt. I LOVE IT. It is powerful & it doesn't shimmy across my counter top--it feels much more stable than my previous KA. And the bowl design works great. It doesn't leave a pocket at the bottom of the bowl of un-mixed ingredients as my KA always seemed to. I can't say enough good things about it and would never go back to a KA! Can't speak about the Viking, though.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 13

The Cuisinart and Viking are made by the same company.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

The Cuisinart and Viking are made by the same company.

That's good information to know!

I have the 5.5qt Cuisinart. I can't say enough good things about it. As for the shaking - I had heard that before I purchased mine. I mix my icing way up on speed 10 and I don't have an issue with it shaking. I don't mix cakes at that speed and don't make bread but it is a heavy machine so I don't think it will shimmy on a solid surface.

One good point I kept coming across when I was doing my research - As much as the KA are loved I haven't heard of one person who switched from a KA to a Cuisinart wanting to go back to the KA.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 13

I just purchased my Cuisinart a couple of weeks ago and so far so good. I did make pizza dough in it and never noticed any movement of the machine on the countertop at all.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 13

I've had my Cuisinart for over 6 months and can't say enough good things about it! I've had no problems mixing 3 doctored mixes at once, and it comes out just fine. The pour shield is much better at its job than the one on my old KA ever was. And I love having the timer that stops the motor!

cheriej Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the replies. It seems that Viking is newer to producing their stand mixer and they have a ton of complaints on various websites. The mixers are almost identical in looks so I'm not sure Viking is worth paying more.

I guess it's time to dive in and hit the purchase button on Macy's Cuisinart. Thanks again!

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 13

I LOVE my Cuisinart 7Qt!! I call it THE MONSTER! icon_smile.gif He is the most fun MONSTER to play with! icon_smile.gif He works so much better than my KA did! I love the bowl!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:28am
post #10 of 13

I have the 7 QT Viking and it's absolutely great! I've got both my 5 qt KitchenAid and 7 QT Viking on a metal cart on rollers and it never moves when either one of them is going. The Viking is loud at higher speeds but it mixes great and I love it!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:43am
post #11 of 13

I don't know what the price is at Macy's but I found the best price at Amazon when I purchased mine. Free shipping too.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #12 of 13

I'm currently searching for my next stand mixer....thanks to all for their advice.

cheriej Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #13 of 13

for the Cuisinart, Macy's is offering free shipping and 30% off for their summer sale (20% off plus an extra 10% for the sale). I ordered it today!! thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%