Starting An Nc Cake Business

Business By ncsmorris Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm by ncsmorris

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 4

I know there are tons of questions people have about how to start up cake shops...and yes I have read the post from...I think it was Doug?...showing the "simple steps no matter where you live"...haha. I have a call placed into the county zoning district to inquire about that and I've downloaded and started the application for home inspection. I know I need to register my business name with the register of questions (mostly) come from the tax side of things...

Is there one place I can call that will be able to tell me if all my bases are covered? (Maybe that would be too easy...) But of course there's a Federal Tax ID number, then sales tax...then I think also county sales tax. So I need to file with federal, state, and county for like a tax number or something? And then will they send me a document explaining sales tax or is there somewhere I can go for that info? Meaning, how to report it to state and county, how much to charge, what to charge sales tax on (the cake, obviously, but delivery also?)

Also business licenses...other than the inspected kitchen, I have found that I need a business license in my city, but how can I find out for sure that I don't need any other kind of business licenses?

I should write a book once this process is over! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for any help you can offer. These boards are always helpful!

3 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 4

You should speak to an accountant who can tell you about the taxes, if you need a license for your city they can tell you if you need one from the state as well. When I made these calls everyone was happy to help.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

in nc -- all sales tax paid to state.

go NC Dept of Revenue site

fed tax and state tax ID #s are two different things.

definitely will need state (see site above)

Fed depends upon how you set up your business -- attorney and accountant time!

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the assistance!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%