I Love When People Get It!

Business By emrldsky Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 10:13pm by emrldsky

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 9

My coworker asked me as soon as I was legal, about a cake for his wife's birthday in September. He didn't have the final details at the time, but I knew he'd be good for it.

So he sent me an email yesterday, giving me some of the preliminary information, and I shot back with, "What's your budget?"

And he said, "I want a life-sized cake of [my wife], and I want to only pay $50. You can make that happen, right?"

Now, before anyone slaps their hand to their forehead, he was joking. He knows that it takes a LOT of work and time to do what I do. But it really did make me laugh and realize that I must have been educating everyone around me about those cake shows that never show pricing. icon_wink.gif

8 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 9

good job on the educating. and Congratulations of your legal business and very first cake order! I'm sure it will be gorgeous no matter what his budget is.

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 9

Congrats emrldsky! Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Can't wait to see more of your creations on here!

emrldsky Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both so much!! I know I have a lot more to learn, but I'm looking forward to it. icon_biggrin.gif

I've found that when it comes to something I've at least done once, I can pretty much do a nice, clean and professional job. It's those new-fangled ideas that trip me up. So, that being said, there's no way I'd do a life-size replica of ANYONE. icon_biggrin.gif

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 9

I just did a lifesize woman and it was a lot of work! Make sure the percentages (head 6% of total, thighs 17%, etc.), are correct or she'll look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame!). Since I learned a lot, PM me and I'll be happy to show you my math and measurements for the cake. I took a mask, put some vaseline to protect it, then boiled fondant and poured it on the mask, then I co... why make you shudder at what's coming! Seriously, if you want a little bit of my experience, I'll be happy to let you know. 32 pounds of fondant sound familiar? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Apti Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieA

I just did a lifesize woman and it was a lot of work! Make sure the percentages (head 6% of total, thighs 17%, etc.), are correct or she'll look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame!). Since I learned a lot, PM me and I'll be happy to show you my math and measurements for the cake. I took a mask, put some vaseline to protect it, then boiled fondant and poured it on the mask, then I co... why make you shudder at what's coming! Seriously, if you want a little bit of my experience, I'll be happy to let you know. 32 pounds of fondant sound familiar? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

You are kidding, aren't you? I mean, you didn't seriously do a life size person cake?

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 9

A friend of mine did her DD's 4th b-day cake last week and posted it on FB. She did a really great job, covering it with fondant and doing a total beach scene on top, complete with palm trees out of Oreo stix and craft foam for the fronds.

The caption under the pic said "Now I know why wedding cakes cost so much! This took me ALL NIGHT!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I replied to her caption (she's a photographer by trade) and told her first what a great job she had done, and then said It's like when people think taking pictures is as easy as pointing a camera and clicking! icon_wink.gif

I also heard at my cake club last night that "Fabulous Cakes" listed the prices of the cakes being shown (I missed the show). Hopefully that will make people think twice about it!

Apti Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

A friend of mine did her DD's 4th b-day cake last week and posted it on FB. She did a really great job, covering it with fondant and doing a total beach scene on top, complete with palm trees out of Oreo stix and craft foam for the fronds.

The caption under the pic said "Now I know why wedding cakes cost so much! This took me ALL NIGHT!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I replied to her caption (she's a photographer by trade) and told her first what a great job she had done, and then said It's like when people think taking pictures is as easy as pointing a camera and clicking! icon_wink.gif

I also heard at my cake club last night that "Fabulous Cakes" listed the prices of the cakes being shown (I missed the show). Hopefully that will make people think twice about it!

Good for you! I'll bet she was really tickled to have a cake decorator praise her cake. I did watch Fabulous Cakes and was pleased to see the prices listed. They ranged from $3000 to $15,000.

emrldsky Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 9

I love that Fabulous Cakes is putting the prices out there for the public to see! Maybe it'll help with the insane requests. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%