Fondant Coloring Questions

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 12:50am by KakesbyK

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I'll be making 200 monogram fondant plaque toppers for cupcakes for a wedding this October... yay! Their colors are white, black, brown, champagne, and sage green. Cupcake flavors are devils food, chocolate, red velvet, lemon, and yellow. All topped with regular, cream cheese, or chocolate buttercream, indydebi's of course, because it's an outdoor wedding.
I usually make my own MMF, but I know from reading on this board that I should order the black fondant already colored, and that's fine. But what about brown and sage green? Any tips for getting these colors right for MMF?
Also, is it a must to add tylose to the MMF? I plan on doing the plaques a couple of weeks before the wedding so they'll have plenty of time to dry. Does the tylose speed up the drying time? Does it do anything else for the MMF?
Thanks for your help!

Maria

3 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 4

I would recommend buying black and dark brown...if it's a light brown you can color it yourself. And yes, you can easily do the sage green...for some reason it's not hard to get that color.

You don't have to add tylose if you have a few weeks to dry the discs...just make sure to put them into a cake box or something to keep them covered against dust but not airtight. And yes, tylose helps them dry much faster.

Cat

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 4

I make brown myself and rarely have a problem. But definately buy black!

KakesbyK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyK Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 4

I always make the brown and black myself, black only if I need a small amount. The brown, I mix and then wrap it very well, let it sit for a couple of days, and the color darkens up~ I never have any problems with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%