Airbrushing Help!!!!

Decorating By Tabithascakes Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm by FullHouse

Tabithascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tabithascakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 7

OK i am going to "try out" my new airbrush tomorrow...how much food coloring and water do i add? i don't want it too thin or too thick..also it isn't being used with an air compressor just the cans of air?! any advice is MUCH APPRECIATED icon_smile.gif

6 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #2 of 7

Are you trying it out on a cake or on paper? if your just using paper, use water. you;ll only need drops of colour at a time. Im not sure how long your can of air will last though.

Tabithascakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 7

i am using it on fondant

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 7

hello!

if you're airbrushing on fondant, as long as you're using the airbrush colour, there is no need to water it down. Just have a bucket of water handy to clean the brush in between. I hope that helps you

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 7

Don't know about cans of air, I use a compressor. But... for the coloring, I use Americolor Airbrush colors, I've read that is the best way to prevent your airbrush from clogging so I've never tried anything else.

There are many helpful threads on here regarding airbrushing, if you search the forums you will get more info than you could think to ask for, it was a huge help for me.

Tabithascakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

Don't know about cans of air, I use a compressor. But... for the coloring, I use Americolor Airbrush colors, I've read that is the best way to prevent your airbrush from clogging so I've never tried anything else.

There are many helpful threads on here regarding airbrushing, if you search the forums you will get more info than you could think to ask for, it was a huge help for me.

i was planning on using wilton brown?!? would that be a bad idea? where do you buy the other brands?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 7

I have never tried the Wilton coloring in my airbrush, but I would be nervous to (feel free to take that with a grain of salt b/c I'm really not an airbrush expert). I ordered the Americolor airbrush colors from CK products (wholesale company, you need an EIN to order from them). They are also available through Country Kitchen Sweet Art as well as a few other brands of airbrush color (but I can't recommend the other brands one way or another as I have only used Americolor). I also love the Americolor pearl spray, gives a great sheen (used it on the red car in my pics and on the white bow baptism cake).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%