Argh!!! Messed Up The Unmessable ... Quick Fix For Mff?

Baking By emiyeric Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:15am
post #1 of 7

I always use Michelle Foster's Fondant, and absolutely love the stuff. I've made it a billion times, and have never had a problem. Just made a batch right now, though, and noticed it was horribly crumbly before I had even finished adding all the PS. Turns out I only added HALF the corn syrup (1/2 cup instead of 1 cup)!!!! Is there some way for me to fix this now that the sugar is already added in??? I would hate to have wasted all these ingredients!!! Thanks in advance ...

6 replies
emiyeric Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:59am
post #2 of 7

And (just wondering) is this something I can fix with shortening? Surely I can't add more corn syrup and re-cook .... right?

emiyeric Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 7

I've been moved to "Recipes" instead of "Disasters", but I'm pretty sure this is a fondant disaster icon_cry.gif . It's a block of cement today ... or rather, many blocks of cement, because it didn't come together in one large mass originally, it was too crumbly. icon_mad.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 7

If someone doesn.t come up with another suggestion you could make another batch with the extra cornsyrup and slowly knead the two batches together in small manageable amounts until it is all mixed.
I have done this with MMF when it was too dry.

emiyeric Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 7

Hey, there's an idea! I'll try that next week and see how it goes ... I need to finish this batch ASAP now, so I'll just make a new one, but I like the possibility of that. In any case, I could just add extra PS to that other batch if it doesn't work out, and it should be okay.

Thanks!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 7

Make a mound out of your fondant, with a large indent in the center, like you would do if you were making bread, or biscuits. THen heat the rest of the corn syrup, and add it into the center indention, then fold over the edges of the fondant into the center and start to knead it.

Sorry if that doesnt make sense. Make sure to make the corn syrup very warm, so that it will knead in and distribute evenly.

emiyeric Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 7

Tesso, that's a great idea! I've made a new batch in the meantime for my immediate caking needs, but after this weekend, I'll do exactly that ... if it doesn't work, at least I've only wasted what I had already planned on wasting anyway, right? icon_smile.gif

Thanks, guys!

-Emi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%