Why Do They Name Recipies "never Fail" !

Baking By dmo4ab Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 1:53pm by LindaF144a

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 8

So I set out last night to make a birthday cake for my dh. Just a chocolate cake, cream filling, cooked chocolate frosting - a replication of one my mother had made that he loved. The frosting was called "Never Fail Chocolate Frosting". Seriously - are they trying to make me feel like a total failure when it "fails". icon_sad.gif I've actually tried this recipie several times and it never works - it's always sugary/grainy! It tastes ok, I guess, but the texture is all wrong.
Does anybody know why my frosting turns sugary?

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 8

Recipe?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 8

Marketing? Someone thought it would sound cool.

But yeah, what is the recipe? And what brand ingredients did you use?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 8

If it's grainy and it's a cooked frosting, I'm wondering if you're stirring when you shouldn't be or maybe you have too much water in your double boiler. It should actually heat with the steam of the water, not the actual water touching the pan. But, I too, would like to see the reicpe that is giving you trouble. Sometime something as simple as a little corn syrup added to a recipe can make all the difference.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 8

sift the frosting, beat much, much longer, use warm liquids in the frosting...just a few suggestions....or take some of the frosting out, heat it, add back to the rest of the frosting and re-whip it. I would do whatever i can think of to keep from throwing it away.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:52am
post #6 of 8

Recipie is as follows and the brands I used
2 cups sugar (Domino)
1/2 cup milk (wal-mart store brand)
2 squares unsweetened choc or 1/4 to 1/3 C cocoa (Bakers Unsweetened Choc)
1 stick margarine (wal-mart store brand butter)
1/2 t. vanilla (Happy Home imitation vanilla extract)

Combine all ingredients except vanilla in medium boiler. Mix over med heat and bring to boil. Boil 1 - 2 min. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Beat until thick enough to spread on cake.

I cooked it in my calphalon non-stick boiler. Let it boil only 2 minutes.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #7 of 8

Seriously, right? I mean, I think my Karma takes that as a dare..."so you think YOU can use a recipe titled "no fail" and that means I can't make it fail?? BBWWWWHHHAAAAHHHAAA! WATCH ME!" and then, sure enough...epic fail. SIGH.

Cat

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 8

Sounds to me like 1-2 minutes is not long enough for the sugar to dissolve. Next time try rubbing a little bit of the mixture between your fingers. When you no longer can feel the graininess, the sugar is melted.

Let us know if that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%