Cricut Cake Or Edible Printer????

Decorating By cakediva38 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm by arosstx

cakediva38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva38 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 8

Should I purchase a cricut cake machine or an edible printer? I'm a home decorator and have always wanted an edible printer but now I'm interested with the cricut machine. I just wanted everyone's opinion, thanks!!!!

7 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 8

any cricut has a learning curve. if you get one, be prepared to have a period of trial and error.

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 8

Hiya! I have both and if I had to chose which to keep hands down the printer! It is a wonderful decorating tool that actually works when you need it to not to mention depending on the printed you chose pretty reasonably priced. The Cricit is so expensive and temperamental in the few cases where I've wanted to use it it just refused to cooperate now I feel I have wasted my money. If you search the message boards you'll see many many decorators very discouraged with their purchase. When spending this amount of money on a product like this you expect it to work right out of the box not requiring so much tweaking. The printer is no different than the one you use for paper you press print and out comes the image you'll be very happy with it. I use it for my cookies, cupcakes and certainly cakes if you are good with your graphics program the possibilities are endless!! I have used it to do character cakes I print a coloring page of the character place that on the cake then trace the black lines with icing and decorate creating a perfect cake. The cricut will require purchasing the cartridges which are also very expensive it just isn't worth it.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 8

I have both but really it depends on what you think that you would use it the most for.

I just recently purchased the cricut cake and I see alot of potential use for it. Yes like the previous posters said there is a learning curve for the cricut but if you get either the sure cuts alot or make the cut program you won't have to purchase any more cartridges.

As far as the printer is concerned you need to use it for the ink to not to dry out on you. Alot of that depends on the type of edible ink that you use. I just recently purchased ink from another company (icing images) and so far I have been pleased with the results but they still suggest printing something out on it every week.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 8

I have both and use the cricut much more then the printer. There is a learning curve and takes practice but once you get it down yu're good to go.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 8

My Cricut is a bog ole expensive paperweight.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 8

I know a lot of people say the cricut cake doesn't work but I haven't had any problems with it.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 8

I like my cricut - I have two sets of blades, and two sets of mats. One for food, one for paper/vinyl/whatever. So I do cakes and other stuff too, like last night I cut out iron-on letters for my daughter's roller derby shirt. And I only paid $188 for my Expression (new at Walmart last Christmas), so I don't feel like it cost too much.

I don't do a lot of edible images, so I vote for the Cricut. Around here, you can get cheap edible image cakes at all the grocery stores, and I have no desire to compete with them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%