Metallic Gold Piping

Decorating By AmandaLeigh00 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm by DeeDelightful

AmandaLeigh00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh00 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys!
I am doing a wedding cake that will be deep red with a lot of gold scroll/detail work, all in buttercream. I know you all suggest painting on luster dust to give the metallic effect, but if I am using all buttercream and there is ALOT of scrollwork, is there another way to go about it? I cannot use the metallic sprays because the background red color is not going to be metallic. Any other suggestions??

TIA!

2 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 3

I would love to hear any suggestions too... painting all that scrollwork is a bit tedious, I've been there a couple times.

I think I may have seen that cake, or at least a similar one. A couple of brides I have caked for have had a deep red cake with ornate gold filigree on their favorites list. does the scrolling really HAVE to be buttercream or could it be fondant that has been pressed into a mold and then sprayed gold and applied to the buttercream cake? If it HAS to be buttercream, I feel your pain.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 3

I purchased a metallic gold luster dust from Global Sugar Art, make a paste using the dust and vodka. You could pipe it on using a disposable piping bag.

OR you could pipe your scrollwork, then carefully paint the scrolls with the luster dust/vodka mixture with a tiny paintbrush. You will want them to be very well crusted before you start painting.

OR i suppose you could use the luster dust to color royal icing and pipe that on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%