Is This The Way You Do A Cake? A Few ?'s

Decorating By bluerose26 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 12:15pm by TheBlonde

bluerose26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluerose26 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #1 of 6

Bake it, let it cool, coat the 1st teir with buttercream, coat the 2nd tier with buttercream, Fondant both tiers, put the dowels in the 1st teir, stack the 2 tiers, then decorate....

after the buttercream goes on what do you put over it to keep the fondant from sliding off?

After i bake the cakes do i have to freeze them? or do i just keep them in the fridge for a few hours ?

Do i coat them with buttercream before i put them in the fridge to settle and harden a lil bit?

How long after i make the fondant do i have to let it set before i roll it out?

5 replies
kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 6

I bake and level the tiers, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for a day or so. It just helps make them moister, and saves me time. If you are using fondant to cover a cake you only need a thin layer of buttercream and the fondant goes on while the buttercream is wet to get it to stick. if you are covering with buttercream do a crumbcoat first and let it sit for a few hours, then do a final coat of buttercream. I don't put cakes in the fridge after icing them, I use fillings that aren't perisable so it is not an issue. hope that helps a little, there is so much that goes into it it's hard to give detailed steps!

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:36am
post #3 of 6

Here's what I do. Bake the cakes, level them and wrap in clear wrap and foil and put in the freezer for at least a day. It really helps to make it moist. I take them out in the morning and then in the evening I layer and fill the cake, crumb coat them, let them sit in the fridge for a while and then cover in a thin layer of buttercream. I let that sit overnight not in the fridge (my cakes are not perishable) so that the cake can settle. The next day I cover in fondant and it's ready to decorate!

If you are making your own fondant let it sit overnight before you use it. I've never had luck using it right after making it. GL!

bluerose26 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:47am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlonde

Here's what I do. Bake the cakes, level them and wrap in clear wrap and foil and put in the freezer for at least a day. It really helps to make it moist. I take them out in the morning and then in the evening I layer and fill the cake, crumb coat them, let them sit in the fridge for a while and then cover in a thin layer of buttercream. I let that sit overnight not in the fridge (my cakes are not perishable) so that the cake can settle. The next day I cover in fondant and it's ready to decorate!

If you are making your own fondant let it sit overnight before you use it. I've never had luck using it right after making it. GL!

What does crumb coating mean?
Are i make my fondant I wrap it in saran wrap then put it in a baggie, then do i let it sit over night in the fridge or at room temperature?
What does it mean to fill a cake?
thanks

bluerose26 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:51am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

I bake and level the tiers, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for a day or so. It just helps make them moister, and saves me time. If you are using fondant to cover a cake you only need a thin layer of buttercream and the fondant goes on while the buttercream is wet to get it to stick. if you are covering with buttercream do a crumbcoat first and let it sit for a few hours, then do a final coat of buttercream. I don't put cakes in the fridge after icing them, I use fillings that aren't perisable so it is not an issue. hope that helps a little, there is so much that goes into it it's hard to give detailed steps!

Do i have to use buttercream under my fondant to help the fondant stick to the cake, or does fondant just stay in place better with buttercream under it?
After i do the butter cream and lay the fondant on the cake, how long do i let it sit to stay in place before I can decorate it w/o it messing up the cake?

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 6

Crumb coating is the thin layer of frosting you put on the cake before actually icing it. It helps seal in the crumbs.

Cover your fondant with clear wrap and put it in a baggie. Leave it out at room temperature. If you put it in the fridge it will be too hard and you will have to do a lot of kneading to get it soft again.

When you do a cake you layer it and in between the layers you fill it. I use buttercream on most of my cakes for the filling but there are so many other options.

Yes, you have to use buttercream under your fondant, otherwise the fondant has nothing to stick to. Don't use too much though because it could cause your fondant to slide. Usually I let the cake sit overnight once I cover it with fondant to let it settle. Plus if you get any cracks overnight you can always cover them icon_smile.gif

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%