Fondant Flower Substitute

Decorating By awatterson Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 9:37am by awatterson

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 6

A woman ordered this cake as a smash cake for her 1 year old. I am doing a single layer 6 inch (I know it is bigger than a regular smash cake, but I couldn't get these details in anything smaller). I am going to cover the cake with buttercream.

She said that I could use fondant for the flowers, but the girl is only turning 1 and I don't want her to choke to death on them. Are there any small drop flowers that would look good on this cake? Thank you.

5 replies
awatterson Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 6
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 6

Those flowers lay flat on the cake. So you don't have to make them in advance and let them dry hard. Just put them on the cake while they're still soft and they will stay soft enough to eat easily.

awatterson Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #4 of 6

Do you think they would be soft enough for a 1 year old though? I don't want to have to tap into an insurance policy for this cake!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #5 of 6

Are you putting them on fondant or on buttercream? if they're going on top of buttercream and the fondant is soft, the buttercream should help it stay soft enough to eat.

You should probably tell the mom to check the flowers before serving it to the baby and make sure she can eat them, otherwise to remove them. She'll know better than anyone else what her baby can eat.

awatterson Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:37am
post #6 of 6

They are going to buttercream. Thanks for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%