When Networking With Other Business Professionals......

Business By Dreme Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm by indydebi

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 6

what type of things do you to build a good relationship with them? I recently had two planners ask to meet with me and want to do a tasting. Is that normal?

I'm thinking of saying/doing:
- telling them about myself and my background
- showing them my portfolio
- giving them a 6 pack wedding cookie sample box to show brides (they can eat one but I intend for them to be used as dummies to show brides)
- give them a pricing sheet
- give them about 25 business cards (That should be enough right?)
- doing a mini cake tasting with basic flavors

Anything else I should do? What do you guys do?

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 6

First, remember this is not a bridal tasting appt. This is your OPPORTUNITY to build a RELATIONSHIP with fellow wedding vendors. YOu want to get to know them and for them to get to know you. Conduct it more as a girlfriend gathering with a business overtone. Ask lots of questions about THEIR business and how you can help THEM with referrals.

This is not a one-way street. It's relationship building, pure and simple.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 6

big shocker, but Debi is totally right.

I think you've got a great start on your end, but be sure to figure out how THEY can help YOU as well. Ask them what kind of relationships they have with venues, do they offer different types of packages, what cake related services might they offer (cutting-probably not, but do they keep extra cutting sets), what kind of unique extras do they do etc. How are their relationships with other cake places? What kind of experiences (good and bad) have they had with cakes?

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 6

save

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 6

I just provided a sample as well for a planner in the area. Any ideas for a unique follow up? A sort of thank you for taking the time to meet with me?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 6

I've actually written an article on this very topic, interviewing two wedding vendors who are very good at this networking thing! You can watch for it in the August issue of Cake Central Magz. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%