How Do I Get A Fondant Accent To Look "stitched"

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 12:50am by Maria925

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 19

I'm making a cake that is patterned after the bday decorations which feature flowers & butterflies that have "stitches" on them. I'm going to cut the shapes out of fondant, but would it be better to draw the stitches on with an edible marker or paint them on with royal icing?

I haven't used either so I'm not sure which would work better.

TIA icon_smile.gif

18 replies
londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 19

You can buy a stitching tool which is a little wheel and leaves little marks in the paste, if you google you should find it icon_biggrin.gif

Just checked and it might be called a quilting tool icon_wink.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 19

there are instructions on how to use the quilting wheel on Wilton's site:

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Fondant-Quilting

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 19

The best one to buy is by PME. It is called a "Quilling" tool. Two tools in one. I have the Wilton and it is not consistent in how it rolls so you get high and low spots. The PME is the one seen being used by most professionals.

Here is a link:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17413&name=PME%20Quilting%20Tool

and here is a link to a picture of the lining of a shoe I made using the PME:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1720995&sub=1720997

You can see the quality of the stitch marks better on the second picture.

HTH!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 19

I did a diaper bag cake with small stitching detail...you can see it at http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1741839.html...I used the quilting tool that is talked about above for that. However, if the quilting area is small, and you don't want to buy the tool, you can just use a toothpick and a straight edge (like a flower former, so good for so many uses! icon_smile.gif )

Maria925 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 19

thank you all for the replies! And by the way Win...that's one unbelievably amazing shoe!!!

Here is a picture of the party ware I'm matching. It looks like the stitching is in a contrasting color. Would I be able to use the quilting tool for this and then color it in or would there be another way to achieve this? Or maybe I should just leave the contrasting color off and just do a plain quilting stitch as you all have demonstrated.

Thank you so much!
LL

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 19

Hi,
If you are wanting to do something like this
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1728745

then I'd just take buttercream or royal icing in a piping bag with tip2 and make tiny lines at a uniform distance.No need for a quilting tool icon_smile.gif
all the best!
- h

Win Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

thank you all for the replies! And by the way Win...that's one unbelievably amazing shoe!!!

Here is a picture of the party ware I'm matching. It looks like the stitching is in a contrasting color. Would I be able to use the quilting tool for this and then color it in or would there be another way to achieve this? Or maybe I should just leave the contrasting color off and just do a plain quilting stitch as you all have demonstrated.

Thank you so much!

You could skip the tool entirely and simply use food color markers to make the contrasting stitches since the picture does not really show them "indented." OR, a very fine paintbrush dipped in thinned food color gel (thin with vodka or lemon extract to get a thin consistency.) Just a couple of alternative ideas...

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 19

For that stitching detail, I would just pipe the lines on. Make a very small paper cone, cut a very small hole and use this very fine line to pipe the colors on. The tool above is most easily used for large area, straight lines.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 19

Yeah, with the contrasting colors, you just need to pipe it. Or, maybe use edible food markers if you are writing on fondant decorations, just let them dry before you write...

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Yeah, with the contrasting colors, you just need to pipe it. Or, maybe use edible food markers if you are writing on fondant decorations, just let them dry before you write...

OMG! YES!!! that's awesome...you can just use an edible food marker!
what an awesome idea Bskinne icon_smile.gif

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 19

I just did this for my sailboat cake in my pics...used an edible marker...worked AMAZING! so easy!

Maria925 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:24pm
post #13 of 19

Honeyscakes that cake is so adorable! That's exactly the look I'm going for! It sounds like maybe the edible marker will be the way to go since the cutouts are going to be on the smaller side.

Anasazi...I love your boat cake. What brand of edible marker did you use???

Win Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:33pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

Honeyscakes that cake is so adorable! That's exactly the look I'm going for! It sounds like maybe the edible marker will be the way to go since the cutouts are going to be on the smaller side.

Anasazi...I love your boat cake. What brand of edible marker did you use???

some of the best you will ever use are by Americolor; however Wilton has a starter set that will probably do you well, and you can buy them in your local Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics, or Hobby Lobby:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16903&name=Americolor%20Gourmet%20Writer%20Food%20Decorating%20Pens%20-10%20Color%20Set

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks!! I used Americolor Markers. I have tried others and feel that these work the best (by far)!

Win Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

Thanks!! I used Americolor Markers. I have tried others and feel that these work the best (by far)!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Those are my favs! I just replaced a set I had been using for over two (close to three) years so they last a long time as well. I only mentioned the Wilton because I don't know how much time the OP has to get her cake done and I cannot get mine by any other method than ordering via internet...

Maria925 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 19

Oh I so wish I would have asked this question last week! I am expecting an order tomorrow from GSA. I could have just put that right in that order. SIGH. Now I will have to order them separately because I think I would like those over the Wilton. The cake isn't due until Friday Aug 6th so I've got some time.

I guess I will have to think of some things to add to my order to make the shipping worthwhile...LOL icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your help!

Win Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:29am
post #18 of 19

Maria, depending where you are in FL, you might find the markers in a cake supply store. I just don't have a good store near me, so I have to order via GSA. It would be great for you if you don't have to order again, but I love GSA myself and can ALWAYS find something to order from them. I just wish I didn't have to pay so much in postage...

Maria925 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #19 of 19

Unfortunately I'm up in Jacksonville and we have no cake stores icon_sad.gif
Soooo...online ordering for me. To get the markers alone from GSA the shipping is just over $10!!!! I have to either order somewhere else or add more to my order to make it worthwhile icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%