Cupcake Topping Ideas.

Baking By lynseyg2002 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 10:41am by minicuppie

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making some cupcakes for a charity fair and i need ideas for the toppings. I need something that will last and hold up in case it is a hot day. i was thinking of a mascapone topping or maybe fresh cream but not sure if they will be suitable. Hope you can help, Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 8

Try to steer away from the perishable recipes. A good BC that uses solid veg shortening can taste awesome with chocolate crumbles, cookie pieces, a bit of jam (no seeds) stirred in. The sky is the limit. Chocolate BC with broken peanut butter bits is a huge hit for me.

lynseyg2002 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 8

Thanx for the reply. As i am from wales, we don't use shortening in buttercream. Would there be any recipes that i can use?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 8

You can buy trex to make up the crisco based butter creams, and that is the most heat resistant topping.
Butter cream made with butter might hold up, seeing as it's not usually that hot in the uk. Or half butter half trex to keep the butter flavour.
Might be worth taking cool bags and freezer packs, and some umbrellas for shade too.
Fresh cream definatly won't hold up if it's hot, and shouldn't be out the fridge too long either. Not sure how mascerpone would hold up in the heat -maybe experiment if no one gets back to you here.
choc ganache can hold up well in the heat, but that's maybe a bit too pricey if it's to fundraise!
xx

lynseyg2002 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

You can buy trex to make up the crisco based butter creams, and that is the most heat resistant topping.
xx

I do use a lot of trex, but I've never used it in buttercream as i always though it would be too greasy. Have you ever used it?

minicuppie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 8

BC can be really greasy and nasty if ingredients are added at the wrong time in the recipe. The Wilton site has a good one and there are quite a few on this site in the recipe section. Sugar Shack has a really, really good recipe. She uses coffee cream, rehydrated with water. In fact, if you haven't already, buy her BC dvd. Well worth the $.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:06am
post #7 of 8

yes, ive used it in indydebis recipe. everyone loves it, only my mum whos also a caker can tell its not real butter cream - so she gets the real deal! i definatly dont think it feels greasy either.
xx

minicuppie Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:41am
post #8 of 8

LOL! Never try to fool a caker, especially if it's a mom caker!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%