Kitchen Aid Suggestions Needed (What To Buy?)

Decorating By nonilm Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm by nonilm

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 5

I had a Classic Kitchen Aid mixer that I received as a wedding gift in 1995. Worked great for all these years. As I started doing more cakes and baking I said wouldn't it be nice to upgrade? So for Christmas last year I got the Artisan. I hate it. It wobbles like crazy, so much so that the pin holding the head wiggles out. Speeds 1 and 2 seem to be the same. I already exchanged once, the same issues occurred, and am considering upgrading again. (I gave my Classic to my younger sister) Any suggestions on which model to buy?

Trying to decide if I should go to the 6qt bowl too.

4 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't use a NEW Kitchen Aid if they were giving them away. I had an old one I used and abused for years, made by HOBART. When HOBART sold the company quality went by the wayside. I bought my last KA on eBay. It's an old harvest yellow workhorse. And, made by HOBART.
That's the best advise I can give you, go on eBay, search out one of the originals. They're out there, and they're worth the trouble. And as an added bonus, you'll probably get it cheaper than a new one.

nonilm Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks kansaslaura that explains alot! How do I tell if it was made by Hobart?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 5

It will be marked on the metal strip that goes around the head of the mixer next to the knob you change speeds with. If you decide to go the eBay route, I'd ask for a picture showing the Hobart brand on it. I had to replacce the brushes on the motor of my first one a couple of times. When I finally had to retire the ole gal it was really worn out.

Just to let you know how mighty these older ones are--I dropped a stick of HARD butter into the bowl, I meant to let it soften while I did other things, but got distrated and started the mixer. It paused just for a moment, cut through the butter and beat the heak out of it. Try that with these new ones and you'll have little bits of crappy plastic gears flying everywhere!

nonilm Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

Right now I am going to work with the store I purchased it at and try another one, maybe a Professional 5 Plus series or a Professional 600 series. Anyone out there have one of these? Are you happy with its performance?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%