What Sizes Should I Use?

Decorating By Tinabarena Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 2:52pm by TexasSugar

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 3

I have to make a tiered graduation cake for next weekend. It is for 75 people. My questions:

1. Should I use 10-8-6 for the 3 tiers? Or 12-10-8? This is a graduation cake - not a wedding cake, so I'm unsure if I should follow the serving size charts that I find...I'm sure the cake won't be cut wedding style.

2. The pans that I have are 3 inch - should I make 2-10 inch, 2-8-inch, etc., then level, fill and stack each tier? Or can I make 1-10 inch, 1 8-inch, etc., split, fill and stack each tier. It seems that I should to the lateral because otherwise it'd be crazy tall...but you guys are the experts, so I'm not sure.

3. Finally, pricing is always a question. I thought $2/slice (BC with fondant accents) is reasonable - do you think it is??

Thanks in advance.

2 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 3

Have you asked the graduate for some input? I agree with the larger servings, if there is no other food offered. Make sure they know how many servings they can expect to cut (and pay for). If there will be food offered, or if the cake is part of a dessert table, just give them the party serving chart. IMO.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 3

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-3-inch-pans.cfm

Personally I would use the above chart. I use wedding cakes serving size no matter what the cake is for. Just be sure to tell them the size of the piece and if they think they are going to serve bigger slices then tell them they need to order more cake.

6/8/10 gives you 74 1x2x3 in pieces.

8/10/12 gives you 118 1x2x3 in pieces. Are they willing to pay for another 43 servings of cake?

I personally would only bake one 3 in layer rather than two. You can torte it twice to bulk up the height a little, but a 6in tall peice would be big, and they would need to make sure they have plates big enough to hold it.

If you do decide to go for the party sizes over the wedding sizes, make sure that you take in account that your 8in cake should cost the same no matter which size it is. You can't use a $2 serving size for all sizes if you use two different charts. Other wise you are cheating yourself out of money.

8in Party servings give you 20 times $2 serving price equals $40
8in wedding servings gives you 24 times $2 serving price equals $48

While the $8 isn't that big of a difference in the 8in example, the 10in has a difference of 10 servings. And the 12in has a difference of 16, so it does add up along the way. Both cakes cost the same to make, take the same time to make, no matter how they are cut up.

I just used $2 as an example. As far as pricing goes, you need to figure out how much money you spend on the cake (all of the process plus including things like boards, boxes, supports and so on), about how much time you will have invested, and how much your time is worth. You also need to see what your area supports.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%