Holy Cow, My Freezer Is Too Small!

Decorating By chrisviz Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm by cakesdivine

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:29am
post #1 of 7

I made a mjaor rookie mistake tonight... making a wedding cake for this next Saturday...largest I have ever made...All layers have been baked and frozen, except the bottom 14 & 16 rounds. I have never made a larger cake than 12". Baked the first layer of the 14incher and low and behold...I didnt check to see if it would even fit in my "side by side" freezer. Of course it doesnt....

So your advice is greatly needed!! Is this layer a lost cause that I should just chuck out the window and rebake a day or two before the wedding, or will it be okay wrapped up tight in saran wrap in the refrigerator for almost a week?

Help!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:48am
post #2 of 7

Can you put them in a deep freezer at a neighbor's, friend's, or family member's house?

chrisviz Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:50am
post #3 of 7

Pretty sad, but everyone I know in the vicinity has a side by side...argh!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:10am
post #4 of 7

Oh well... if you don't have another option, wrapped tightly in the refrigerator wouldn't be so bad for just a few days. You're probably going to ice it on Thursday anyway.

chrisviz Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 7

Guess I should mention it is a WASC cake....Thank you for you input!!

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 7

Sounds like a dilemma. I thought I had a similar problem a few months ago. We had purchased a new side by side by fridge. I have already claimed the top two shelves in freezer and one shelf in fridge. That works fine for anything 12" and under. A 16"x16" has no where. Lucky for me my old fridge did not get thrown away. My husband kept it in his shed as a soda/beer fridge. And it is the fridge that has fridge on bottom and freezer on top. Since he never uses the freezer part I now have an extra freezer, which is wider than my home freezer. The biggest stress reliever Ive found for cake decorating is planning. This way I dont have too many surprises when its time for the cake because Ive already planned everything out, ordered everything, pre-prepared things

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 7

You can cut each in half, wrap each half then put in freezer. Then when ready to use seal back together with a thin layer of BC. This is how you deal with the 18" & larger half pans. Works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%