Sps Question

Decorating By leafO Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 3:34am by terrylee

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #1 of 7

Ok this is probably a dumb question...I'm making my first wedding cake in two weeks for my sister and I wanted to use the sps for the first time. It's three tiers 14,10,6. covered in fondant. I know most cakes are 4" tall and the standard sps leg is that height but my pans are 3". If I want each tier to be 6" tall do I need to do two 3" cakes in each tier with a plate and support in between or with the sps can I just get the longer pillars and cut them to 6" or would that not have enough structural support due to the height?

I've done tiered cakes before but never one this big. Any tips or advice you could give me about stacking large cakes or fondant would be appreciated, I'm a little nervous. I'm excited to use the sps for the first time, it looks awesome!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
leafO Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:46am
post #2 of 7

The sticky on sps recommends to use a saw to cut it. Has anyone tried cutting the sps with a pvc pipe cutter would that work?

leafO Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

The sticky on sps recommends to use a saw to cut it. Has anyone tried cutting the sps with a pvc pipe cutter would that work?

OasisSupply Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OasisSupply Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, the PVC pipe cutter work great for that application.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:50am
post #5 of 7

I have used a pipe cutter. You do have to do it very carefully and slowly or the leg will break unevenly.

leafO Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:19am
post #6 of 7

Thanks icon_smile.gif I'll hafta "borrow" the pipe cutter from my DH's tool box and put it in my cake tool box icon_smile.gif (After I've sanitized it of course)

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:34am
post #7 of 7

The pipe cutter should work....cut slow ........A pipe cutter can be on your christmas list this year...... tools of the trade...lol.....I use a small saw and miter box.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%