Bc Breaking Down :(

Baking By SmAsH-CaKeS Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm by TexasSugar

SmAsH-CaKeS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SmAsH-CaKeS Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 10

I made a huge batch of BC using the high humidity recipe here on CC. I put the crusting layers on both of my cakes and now the BC is "breaking down"!! Is there a way to bring it back to life?
Any help is greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 10

What recipe did you use? What exactly do you mean by "breaking down"?

Were your cakes frozen or partially frozen when you iced them?

SmAsH-CaKeS Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 10

This is the recipe
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4123/high-humidity-buttercream

My 2 colors are black and teal. They both have little white spots in them and they are not creamy like they are supposed to be.

SmAsH-CaKeS Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 10

I should add.... not only the icing that I put on the cake but the icing left in the bowl as well is doing this.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 10

I'm sorry I am not familiar with that recipe and don't have a remedy for your problem. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe. It holds up extremely well in heat and humidity..temperatures of 100+ degrees and 100% or better humidity. It has passed the test for me on more than one occasion. If you need a high humidity icing I'd suggest using her recipe if this one doesn't work out for you. thumbs_up.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 10

The white spots are the salt granules in your recipe. Next time use popcorn salt, it's really fine and you won't have that problem.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 10

Yep that happens to me too, only when I use salt. Might have to keep beating it until it gets better

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 10

Disolve the salt in liquid first.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 10

Or...it could be your food coloring.
If you see some white spots, it is probably the salt. If it is all speckled throughout then it might be from using a water based food coloring vs. oil based. Your frosting base is shortening, so an oil based food coloring would help it stay mixed. You used black and teal which probably took a lot of food coloring to get the shade you wanted.

Wilton sells an oil based food coloring, but is limited in color.

What food coloring did you use?

I saw this a lot when taking my Wilton classes. The richer the color, the more the separation.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 10

Was the teal a dark color or did you add alot of food coloring to get the color? If so, my thoughts is that is the problem.

Does it look like colored liquid with separate white pieces in it?

My opinion is when you add alot of coloring it through some balance off in the icing. To fix it I generally just add in some cornstartch to help absorb the extra amount of liquid and it works out fine. For me it always looks okay in the bowl, but as soon as you bag it and the warmth of your hand hits it you can see the seperation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%