Cake Mix Or Doctored Cake Mix?

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 3:04am by matthewkyrankelly

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all! I'm busy, busy, busy trying to get my recipes together for my cupcake biz. I doctored a DH devils food mix today and it was good, but not as chocolatey as usual (I'll add some bakers chocolate next time... thanks mamawrobin!).
My question is this... do you successful cupcake bakers out there use just a mix or do you doctor it? Are there SOME that you doctor and some that you don't? I added milk, sour cream, flour, sugar, vanilla, water, and eggs to mine... I felt like I was baking from scratch! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

3 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:07am
post #2 of 4

I do scratch all the way. I don't understand doctored, to me it is scratch. You added all the same things I do for scratch and a cake mix too. At least I don't have the added expense of a cake mix.

Sorry, I just don't get the concept. I'm not going to be able to help you.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:44am
post #3 of 4

The cake mix extender recipe from this site is a great combo of mix/scratch. If you want to make it chocolate just add a small box of chocolate pudding, it also makes about 30 cupcakes. Good luck!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #4 of 4

For yellow cake I use DH Butter. For chocolate I use Hershey's. For both I add vanilla and sometimes some spices or coffee depending on the flavor.

The box mix thing is just another tool in the kitchen. People respond to that "doctored" box mix. They also respond to my "doctored" Hershey's recipe.

Both provide me consistent reliable results. They are easily priced and therefore provide an excellent building block for a business. Recipes are fun to tweak and try new things, but there is a reason some things are called "bread and butter".

No one needs ten vanilla cake recipes for a business. They need one that works. Use what works.

I agree with you - If you have to put in more than three or four ingredients(including eggs and water) then you might as well make it from scratch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%