How Many Dowels Would You Use?

Decorating By Hollandy Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm by destineysway

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a 10 inch double layer cake with a 6 inch double layer cake on top, so just two tiers. I have small, straw size wooden dowels and little cardboard cake seperator things which I am sure have an official name that I am just not privy too as a novice icon_biggrin.gif I was told by one baker not to use a support stsyem at all, but she admitted she's never done a tiered cake.

Another woman told me to use 3 dowles in a triangle shape and then a third person told me 5. So, what's the real deal?

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 5

I use milkshake straws (same size as McDonald's straws) and I use 4 (four) in my 10 inch cakes for supporting a 6 inch cake. I also use the cardboard cake boards. You DO need the support system thumbs_up.gif

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I use milkshake straws (same size as McDonald's straws) and I use 4 (four) in my 10 inch cakes for supporting a 6 inch cake. I also use the cardboard cake boards. You DO need the support system thumbs_up.gif

Thank you! I didn't want to under support or over support causing collapse. 4 seems like a nice rund number, and one that nobody has suggested before. LOL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Thank you! I didn't want to under support or over support causing collapse. 4 seems like a nice rund number, and one that nobody has suggested before. LOL

I had to laugh when I read your post because one person said 3 and another said 5. I DO use 4....it was just funny to me that it was right in between what the others had suggested.

destineysway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destineysway Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 5

i also use 4 for a 10' cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%