How To Take Care Of My Cookie Cutters

Baking By teddy0826 Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 11:57am by Tug

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 10

How do i keep me cookie cutters from rusting?

9 replies
cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 10

Never let them sit in water. When I wash my metal cutters, I have a sink of hot, soapy water and swish them clean one at a time. I rinse, shake off water, and set cutters to dry in a single layer on a dish towel. If they have a folded edge, have that edge up so there is no place for water to pool on them. Some people set them in a still warm oven to dry completely, but the towel works for me.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 10

Hand wash them and dry them right away. Do not put them in the dishwasher and don't let them soak in water.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:52am
post #4 of 10

When I am finish cutting out and baking the cookies I wash them in warm soapy water, let them drain a little and then put them in the warm oven to dry. Off course I have already baked all the cookies and turned the oven off. Just leave them in there as the oven cools and them store them as you like. Careful with copper cutters, this method can slightly discolor them. I have never had a cookie cutter rust on me this way. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:53am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALVARGA

When I am finish cutting out and baking the cookies I wash them in warm soapy water, let them drain a little and then put them in the warm oven to dry. Off course I have already baked all the cookies and turned the oven off. Just leave them in there as the oven cools and them store them as you like. Careful with copper cutters, this method can slightly discolor them. I have never had a cookie cutter rust on me this way. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

Love the oven idea! I usually hand wash mine and let dry on a kitchen towel--the cutters have never rusted (like they did when I threw them in the dishwasher).

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #6 of 10

I really wish this thread was started last week before I completely ruined my beloved onesie cookie cutter! I made the stupid mistake of putting them in the mixing bowl with soapy water, and then since the dishwasher was full I left it in the sink until that load was washed. Well, of course I forgot since it was late........and when I woke up the next morning it was rusted EVERYWHERE!! Does anyone know how to get the rust off, or is it completely ruined? I know they aren't expensive, but I had to order it online and pay shipping.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 10

Try making a paste of lemon juice and salt. Rub on the rusted spots. Rinse and dry well.

SugarBoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBoy Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:22am
post #8 of 10
Quote:

I use the "oven" method for my cookie cutters and trays - anything metal.

As for the rusted ones (or duplicate cutters), I attached them to cookie trays that promised to be "The One" and hung the trays on my kitchen walls.

As you can see on my kitchen walls, I have several rusted cutters before learning about the "oven" method.
LL
LL

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 10:58am
post #9 of 10

I do the same idea of washing, hand drying and then putting them in a warm oven. When storing them, they go into ziploc bags to prevent any moisture from causing rusting over time. This has worked like a charm for me.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 11:57am
post #10 of 10
Quote:

When I am finish cutting out and baking the cookies I wash them in warm soapy water, let them drain a little and then put them in the warm oven to dry. Off course I have already baked all the cookies and turned the oven off. Just leave them in there as the oven cools and them store them as you like.

This is also what I do. Your oven is still fairly hot after baking the cookies. The cutters dry quickly and thoroughly. I also do this with my baking pans after baking a cake. Never had any rust issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%