Do You Charge Extra For 3-D Figures?

Business By pooky1969 Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 4:50am by LISSI15

pooky1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooky1969 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a cake "Nightmare before Christmas" by Tim Burton inspired by many wonderful ideas that I have seen here on CC. It will be a stacked 6" & 8" cake, red velvet and I'm sure I'll cover it in fondant.

My question is, I'm most likely going to be making a 3-D "Jack" out of fondant or gum paste to put on top of the cake along with the moon. I was going to charge $3.00/serving. Would you charge extra for the Jack figure or charge more per slice. If so...how much?

Thank you for reading and your suggestions!

5 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't charge for the Jack figure, or even do it, because it's copyright infringement.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with RoseNCrantz that it is copyright infringement and would not do it. However, for gum paste figures that are not copyrighted, heck yeah I charge more, especially for 3-D ones! Those are a ton of work! In fact, I did a 3-D Jack figurine for my sister's birthday cake last year (of course, didn't charge for it so I could do it) and that thing took me at least 4 hours to do. Definitely charge for 3-D figures. They may take up a small amount of space on the cake, but some of them can take more hours to do than baking, filling, icing, smoothing, and decorating an entire cake.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 6

I'm still struggling with pricing as well. I would think that you would need to be compensated for the time and supplies. Each figure would be individualized, so I would think it would be easier to charge for the figure. But I have no input on the legal aspect as far as copyright laws go. I'm still learning about that too!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 6

I agree. I would definitely charge for the figures. If I had charged my nephew for the figures on his wedding cake, I would have charged at least $100 to $125 a piece. Gumpaste/fondant figures are time consuming!

LISSI15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LISSI15 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:50am
post #6 of 6

For sure, I would charge for it, making a 3D figure isn`t easy at all adding to that the time you might spend on working it. Remember your time also has a price. The thing as the others say it´s the legal area, which is right but on my personal opinion you have to charge for your job and time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%