I Can't Believe I Forgot The _____

Lounge By KayMc Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 9:20pm by mamawrobin

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 11

I was pretty pleased w/ myself. Whipped up my first batch of MFF. Did everything to the T that the recipe and directions said to do. It felt really nice and pliable, and after I kneaded it, I wrapped it in my crisco-lined plastic wrap. Put it in tupperware and patted myself on the back thinking, "now, that wasn't so hard".

So, I start cleaning up. As I go to wipe the counter, there is the bottle of glycerin on the counter - UNOPENED!!! I forgot the freakin' glycerin!!! I know this will never work for fondant now. icon_mad.gif Is there anything I CAN do with it, or shall I pitch the whole package. I could just scream...........

10 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 11

There are plenty of recipes out there that do not call for glycerin. And there's no reason I would think that you could not add it even now. Just knead it in like you would color.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 11

I've never used glycerin and my MMF came out just fine!

(and I bet, if arms/hands up to it -- could still knead it in)

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 11

I made MMF and forgot the glycerin, I wasn't sure what to do. So I added it after because I thought if it dosen't work i would throw it anyway. It was the first time I had made it so I did not know if you could use it without the glycerin. It turned out fine, when I made the next batch it didn't feel any different to the first. icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

There are plenty of recipes out there that do not call for glycerin. And there's no reason I would think that you could not add it even now. Just knead it in like you would color.

Hopefully you're right about adding it later. I make 6-10 batches of this fondant each week. Michele clearly states that in HER recipe it's VERY IMPORTANT that the FIRST 5 ingredients be measured ACCURATELY.

There may be "plenty of recipes out there that do not call for glycerin" but since Michele states the importance of the accuracy of the measurements of the first 5 ingredients and glycerin being one of those 5, I wouldn't bet on it.
I do hope that you can "knead it in like you would color" but even with the experience that I have with this fondant I will say that I honestly DO NOT know if you'll be able to and have the same results.

Michele Foster's screen name is Sugarflowers...maybe you could pm her and ask if she can give you any advice on what to do. After all it is HER recipe and who would know better than her? thumbs_up.gif

Marshmallow fondant and Michele Foster's fondant ARE different. thumbs_up.gif

KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 11

I was so excited to read that some of you don't use the glycerin. I guess at this point I have nothing to lose, so I will try and add the glycerin w/ kneading this evening.

That being said, I am also going to attempt to make contact w/ Michelle, and ask her advice. Thanks to you all!

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I was so excited to read that some of you don't use the glycerin. I guess at this point I have nothing to lose, so I will try and add the glycerin w/ kneading this evening.

BUT...they are talking about MARSHMALLOW fondant....NOT Michele Foster's.
These are two completely different recipes.

That being said, I am also going to attempt to make contact w/ Michelle, and ask her advice. Thanks to you all!

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 11

I think this MMF as opposed MFF abbreviation issue is confusing a lot of people. MMF needs no glycerine. MFF does.

I think you should be able to knead it in. I've never used her specific recipe but I don't see why it cant be added after. The only issue that might pop up is getting it evenly distributed. Maybe divide the batch into smaller portions...add the right amount of glycerine to each..work them in and then work those smaller portions back together.

Might take a lot of elbow grease though..
But I would give it a try before I toss it.

KayMc Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 11

I do know there are two different types of fondant, and that MFF does require the glycerine. Believe me, I left it out accidentally, not because I thought I didn't need it. icon_cry.gif

Since the only thing I have to lose at this point is a little bit of glycerine, I am going to give it a try and knead it in. sigh...... I'm anticipating that I will have to pitch the whole thing, but maybe I'll get lucky........

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 11

Ah take heart...it just might surprise you... I'm crossing my fingers for you.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

I do know there are two different types of fondant, and that MFF does require the glycerine. Believe me, I left it out accidentally, not because I thought I didn't need it. icon_cry.gif

Since the only thing I have to lose at this point is a little bit of glycerine, I am going to give it a try and knead it in. sigh...... I'm anticipating that I will have to pitch the whole thing, but maybe I'll get lucky........

I am going to remain optimistic and say it's going to be ok...ya just gotta believe thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%