Did Anyone Else Watch Dc Cupcakes Last Night?

Lounge By abra526 Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 3:38am by cheriej

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #61 of 82

OMG, Evelyn, that blog had me just rolling! icon_lol.gif I made hubby let me read the whole thing to him!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:12pm
post #62 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniboo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If 'reality' shows are going to be scripted, then it is time for an honest to goodness creative show with real actors. I could see a sitcom about a bakery...using a lot of stories from REAL bakers as inspiration. You could show all the nightmare situations plus whatever personal story lines are going on. An imaginative well written scripted show would be something I would watch! And maybe in one of the episodes deal with stupid people who think cakes are cheap. It could work! Are there any good writers anymore out in Hollywoodland? Because the bad ones are all writing for 'reality' shows! Ok...who do I call to get this done?

Maybe it's time that Cake Central did a "reality" show???????
Just a thought.................................. icon_surprised.gif

I agree icon_smile.gif

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:19am
post #63 of 82

WHY??? Why didn't I listen?? I went ahead and watched the dog episode even tho I read all the reviews here and damn you were all right! Worst 30 minutes of television ever. The women are completely unlikeable and can't possibly be as incompetent as they look on this show! My daughter said 'Seriously? I can do that swirl!' and she's right. So far the most unrealistic reality show we've seen... Don't see this one making a second season thumbsdown.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:27am
post #64 of 82

I sure do hope that these people on this show have some pretty thick skin. They sure are going to need it.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:29am
post #65 of 82

I didn't like the show either.
About the word mommy - generally you don't hear that beyond a ten year old, if that.

They profess they are bakers who learned from their grandmother, not cake decorators. I wonder what kind of decorating experience these two have besides opening their own shop.

Unfortunately for decorators, this show is not geared toward us. It is for the general public who have no idea how things are done, but want a glimpse into the life.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #66 of 82

I'm getting ready to watch "Fabulous Cakes" we'll see how that one goes! icon_rolleyes.gif

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 12:54pm
post #67 of 82

I really liked Fabulous Cakes for three reasons; 1) They all are incredibly talented 2) they actually show how much the cakes COST (it's about time!!) 3) NO PERSONAL DRAMA that one is huge, when I watch a cake show I want skill and talent to be showcased...not family drama. If I wanted that I'd watch a soap opera ( and I've NEVER watched one of those) I think it was a great show...$15,000 for a cake Good Lord!!!

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #68 of 82

I watched DC cupcakes the first night it aired. As other have said, I was pretty un-impressed with the whole storyline they had going.

I have just recently started doing cakes, and the whole 'signature' swirl part had me staring blankly at the screen. It`s great that they have "developed" something to set themselves apart, but NOT when it`s something like a simple swirl on a cupcake.

The fondant part also had me wondering. The decorator rolled out the fondant pretty thick, and all she did was cut it out? I was expecting maybe they would have done a small 3-d dog or something.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #69 of 82

I have to agree with the overall review of this show.
The 'mommy' phrase had me rolling my eyes...the dog in the van with the cupcakes, yuk...the secret swirl geesh... Totally didn't love this show, not likely to follow it weekly.

Price Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #70 of 82

Yes to Fabulous Cakes! I agree finally a cake show that is a little more realistic. I liked them talking about the technique they used, it didn't seem too fake, and they mentioned prices. I will definitely watch it again.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #71 of 82

The Washington Post had an article today that the show (sadly, in my opinion) had fantastic ratings for the first night it was on. Now, the real question is, can they hold the viewers. I hope not!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:26am
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

The Washington Post had an article today that the show (sadly, in my opinion) had fantastic ratings for the first night it was on. Now, the real question is, can they hold the viewers. I hope not!

Why not?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:19pm
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Why not?

Because, like many people posting on this thread, I though the show was terrible. Those women are not enjoyable to watch.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:57pm
post #74 of 82

Oh, I see... you didn't mention which show. Because you posted after the comment about "Fabulous Cakes", I wasn't sure if you were talking about that show in particular, or the show in the title of this thread. Just wondered. I think I get it now.

EvelynMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvelynMc Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:24am
post #75 of 82

I finally got around to watching this, and was pleasantly surprised. Love the NO DRAMA! And I learned something, I could never do cakes in 'Vegas. Two days notice on those cakes, are they nuts???? Overall, great caking show. And the word "Mommy" wasn't uttered once. Ahhhhh

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:33am
post #76 of 82

The hair hanging out from everyone, beginning with the baker, the decorators and the FOH staff, made me crazy. The secret swirl made me laugh out loud, the whining "Oh, mini cupcakes are so much harder to do.." had me ROFL. The mask not fitting though the door was hilarious!

This "reality" show really should be listed as a comedy! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:58am
post #77 of 82

I live close to DC. I have never been to their shop but the local reviews are not good. I won't post what was said, but it is interesting how businesses can be so successful with "ok" products and mean employees... location, location, location. They are in Georgetown on M Street.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #78 of 82

This is the stupidest show I have seen. The people seem to have no idea what they are doing. I think TLC is really grasping at straws with this show.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Ohhh the humanity!!

"As God as my witness, I thought cake balls could fly!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(for those not in my age bracket .... that's a modified line from "WKRP in Cincinnati" .... the famous flying turkeys episode!)

Indydeb I must be in your age bracket cause I remember the "Flying Turkeys"
I am l icon_lol.gif right now thinking about it!!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #80 of 82

I couldn't believe how amateurish the DC cupcakes bakery was - their "most talented fondant 'artist'"??? - I don't think I've ever had to use double quotation marks like this in my life - it was that bad. And they were proud of their dog cupcake cake?!?!?! It was so ugly and falling apart - plus they let the dog jump up beside it and thought it was funny?!?!? The signature swirl?!? Are there NO other bakeries in the DC area or something that the population believes this is a store worth spending an hour in line to spend money at?!? Blech - I thought Fabulous Cakes was WAY better - it seemed totally real like the other said - no drama - real problems - real fixes - in short - reality tv as it should be...

Price Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #81 of 82

Well, I am must be a glutten for punishment, because I watched the show again last night, just to see if it was any better. NOT! I'm not quite sure how the sisters managed to get their show on tv. I can only hope that TLC has edited these shows just to make them look bad and it's not reality! Looks to me like they really have no decorating abilities. Just bake cupcakes and slap their "Signature Swirl" on top. They weren't even doing a neat job of that swirl last night! icon_eek.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:38am
post #82 of 82

Ok so I watched the next few episodes. I do have to admit I was intrigued with the Greek cupcake and the hibiscus/mango cupcake. I have to give them credit for coming up with those ideas - they sounded pretty interesting. But other than that, not much more to like.

The way they treated their head baker, I can't believe he doesn't quit. Telling him "oh, we need 1,000 more cupcakes by tomorrow oh, and an extra 1300 for the crowd. Yea, just run off and do that". I hope they watch that and repent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%