Did Anyone Else Watch Dc Cupcakes Last Night?

Lounge By abra526 Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 3:38am by cheriej

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #31 of 82

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If 'reality' shows are going to be scripted, then it is time for an honest to goodness creative show with real actors. I could see a sitcom about a bakery...using a lot of stories from REAL bakers as inspiration. You could show all the nightmare situations plus whatever personal story lines are going on. I think the reason I like Ace of Cakes is not so much the cakes, but the people on the show and their genuine affection for each other and some of the things they say to each other and on camera. An imaginative well written scripted show would be something I would watch! And maybe in one of the episodes deal with stupid people who think cakes are cheap. It could work! Are there any good writers anymore out in Hollywoodland? Because the bad ones are all writing for 'reality' shows! Ok...who do I call to get this done?

I agree icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #32 of 82

Let's say it's all scripted. The styrofoam stuff didn't really go to a customer and neither did the cupcake dog thingy (I don't have cable so I didn't see it.) It is completely irresponsible for the producers of the show to let people assume this all really happened.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #33 of 82

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I liked the show.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:52am
post #34 of 82

I thought it was terrible. First of all Bobby Flay uses apple cider vinegar in his Red velvet recipe. I can't believe those people stood in line all that time for those little cupcakes. Signature Swirl? Give me a break!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #35 of 82

It was way too scripted for me too. I watch the cake shows to hopefully learn new things. I learned that those two girls seem like morons but probably aren't in reality.

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:02am
post #36 of 82

Haha.....the signature swirl was really funny. I am going to have my own signature swirl too...1m piping

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:09am
post #37 of 82

I watched for all of three minutes.I made it to the part when they brought out their " best fondant artist"to help with a cupcake the super TALENTED artist rolled out a piece of fondant ( and they explained that fondant by the way is sugar mixed with water???!!!?? icon_confused.gif ) then she proceeds to cut a dog out of the fondant with a cutter and throws it on top of a cupcake!!!! Well if that's what they consider a talented fondant artist, then myself & many others on here should be nominated for some kind of fondant noble prize icon_lol.gif !!!!!! Needless to say I will NOT be watching this show again,I honestly wish I could get those three minutes of my life back!!! Awful Show thumbsdown.gif

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:13am
post #38 of 82

WOW! My daughter and I missed it, because it looked so cute. Guess we'll catch the repeat, just to see the hype! LOL

multilayered Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #39 of 82

I'm sick of shows that make people out to be klutzs and nimrods but yet they are smart enough to figure out how to start a business of that magnitud.

When you've invested that kind of money into something, you're just a little more protective and "street smarts" than what is being depicted on the screen.

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree. From personal experience I have known 3 business owner's that if you met them you would be amazed they could tie their own shoes never mind own/run a business. These people had family money and were basically given their businesses and family and friends clean up their messes. So I would definitely say that 90% of business owners are quite competent and intelligent, those other 10% are not Mensa candidates icon_smile.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:20am
post #40 of 82

Sounds like I should hit the delete button, I have not watched my TiVo'd episodes yet. . . I saw a preview on TLC and it bored me so thanks for the heads up, I'll save my time.

Cake shows are great for us but I could do without the scripted drama. I don't expect a hands-on thing but honestly most of them are nothing special so far. . .

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:32am
post #41 of 82

ermmm...i am a newbie in cake deco and fondant....but i can roll-out those fondant and cutout a dog with a cutter too

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:40am
post #42 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

.... those other 10% are not Mensa candidates icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think we've all known one of those in our lifetime! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:47am
post #43 of 82

Not only did they give us the secret ingredient, they gave us a lovely demo on how to achieve the signature swirl.....now all I need is a bankroll and I am on my way to having a big successful company where I can have my mommee screw up the cupcakes and bring her dog in to shed on my food.

No wonder people think that it is no big deal to call you the night before a birthday and ask you to make a cake. These people would like us to believe they made a 1000 cupcakes twice in one weekend, on top of it being their busiest weekend of the year, and they had time to go to the big event and hang out, while the poor swirl lady had to ice all 25000 cupcakes herself cause noone else there knew how to work an icing bag.

I would love to watch a show that had a realistic view of what the cake business is like, and also educate people on how much time and energy go into it.

glittercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glittercakes Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:56am
post #44 of 82

Wow, am I ever happy that you all feel the same! DC Cupcakes was an absolute JOKE! icon_eek.gif ...but I was not surprised after seeing the commercials! Oh, what a tragedy, they must train more people on the `signature swirl`or their business will collapse! ...talk about fake drama! Not only that, but did anyone notice how the icing bag MAGICALLY got a hole in it when the guy attempted to make the swirl!! icon_confused.gif ...this is the worst yet in terms of cake shows! Cake boss has some set up scene (like when the cake completely collapsed down the stairs... obviously there was no support system attaching all layers together.. something an experienced decorator would never forget!)
...anyways, I know it won`t be on long with these first few episodes, I hope non-cake-people can see what we all see! I will never tune in again! icon_cool.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:06am
post #45 of 82

Cake reality are for peoplie who want the drama etc not ones who know what actually go into the real thing. If you don't know any better, but enjoy yhe craziness or drama it would probably work. When does it air? I would watch it once just to see how unrealistic it is. Look at what Duff from Ace of Cakes has accomplished, his own line of products w/an outrageous price because they have his name on it. To much drama for me. Boy, aren't we critical. LOL

glittercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glittercakes Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:10am
post #46 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

Cake reality are for peoplie who want the drama etc not ones who know what actually go into the real thing. If you don't know any better, but enjoy yhe craziness or drama it would probably work. When does it air? I would watch it once just to see how unrealistic it is. Look at what Duff from Ace of Cakes has accomplished, his own line of products w/an outrageous price because they have his name on it. To much drama for me. Boy, aren't we critical. LOL

I disagree with this... I watched the first episode with my boyfriend (who knows nothing about cakes or cupcakes) and he even thought it was ridiculously set up and cheesy. Not only that, but the main characters don`t seem to have aaany redeeming qualities. If people want drama... the should watch The Hills!

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:40am
post #47 of 82

I like Ace of Cakes because the people are pretty offbeat and I love Cake Boss because they are SO Italian and I should know because my in-laws are exactly that way! Yes, I heard them say they sell 25,000 cupcakes on Valentine's weekend- that's over $50,000 in cupcakes and honestly, their work area didn't look like it could handle that many. For me, I would never stand in a line around the block for cupcakes- I've only stood in a line that long for Beatles tickets back in the day and maybe for the first Star Wars movie. Anyways- the show was a bit disappointing to say the least.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:41am
post #48 of 82

I have to admit I had higher hopes for this show. I only saw the last part of the dog episode and, well, it was disappointing. First of all, her chocolate cupcakes were atrocious - sunken without a good dome. Then all the dog drama and the dog getting in the van etc. I'm all for animals but did she even wash her hands after petting the dog? ugh! And then the fake talking to the camera. It sounded like she was reading off a teleprompter and poorly at that. Well I'll go back and watch the first episode if it repeats but I doubt I will follow this one - it looked as bad as cupcake wars - which was awful.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:53am
post #49 of 82

The part with the dog in the "lab" was just nasty, and they kept on making batter. And some of us cant have home based kitchens. So they go on tv with a dog in there. That is just wrong on so many levels.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 6:09am
post #50 of 82

Boy, oh boy. I see that I am not alone. I watched both episodes and agree that the signature swirl drama was a joke. It was going to mean the demise of the business if somebody didn't pick up this difficult technique ASAP. Really--that's your signature? All you need is a doggonne piping bag with a coupler. What's so special about that? The conversations amongst the sisters and staff seemed so unnatural and totally scripted. And the dog? C'mon! I just took the freakin' ServSafe course for safe food handling and I'm pretty sure a big DON'T is having a dog around cupcakes you are delivering or to have said dog in the "lab" where you box and ship orders. That was totally for TV. No way did they deliver the dog hair infused cupcakes. LOL.

multilayered Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:55pm
post #51 of 82

I've been doing a "signature swirl" for years....where's my show icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LindaF144a Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #52 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree. From personal experience I have known 3 business owner's that if you met them you would be amazed they could tie their own shoes never mind own/run a business. These people had family money and were basically given their businesses and family and friends clean up their messes. So I would definitely say that 90% of business owners are quite competent and intelligent, those other 10% are not Mensa candidates icon_smile.gif

I have had the opposite experience. I have worked with several family owned companies, or small retail stores. I continue to be amazed that these people are business owners. They are flying by the seat of their pants, have no experience whatsoevah, make all sorts of stupid decisions, no business plan, no lawyer, the neighbor who helps with the books, etc. and yet still opened a business.

Bascially they all took that "a dollar and a dream" lottery logo and opened a shop. After all these years only one went under.

Every single time I meet one of these types, my husband and I just think if they can do it we can do it. Then we actually do a business plan and crunch numbers and figure out ROI and don't.

So I'm not surprised at all at the personality coming across from these girls.

If you watch in the background and don't pay attention to the drama (I actually fast forwarded through the non store parts), you actually learn a lot - of both what to do and what not to do.

And I know it's just me, but those Hobart mixers fascinate me, especially the humongous ones. icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 2:11pm
post #53 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBeesCookies

Boy, oh boy. I see that I am not alone. I watched both episodes and agree that the signature swirl drama was a joke. It was going to mean the demise of the business if somebody didn't pick up this difficult technique ASAP. Really--that's your signature? All you need is a doggonne piping bag with a coupler. What's so special about that?

I believe that segment was to show how much of a control freak the one sister was. If she can't let go of that one little thing, it will be her down fall.

And remember, most of you on here have a lot of experience under your belt. I have been taking classes since April and I am now much better at piping than I ever, ever was. And that is from having an instructor there to guide me on how to hold the bag, the pressure sensitivity, etc. If you look at it with beginner eyes and remember how it was the very first time you picked up an icing bag, it would be easier to understand how difficult a simple swirl would be at first. Boy, I remember some messes I did just trying to do a swirl like that when I first picked up a bag. I had the attitude of how hard can this be. Phhhht - harder than I thought!

No more defending this show from me. And I hope this isn't coming across as defending their actions. I just wanted to give a perspective from a beginner's eyes.

jenniboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniboo Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconiag

Haha.....the signature swirl was really funny. I am going to have my own signature swirl too...1m piping

Hahaha. I love it icon_smile.gif Hopefully if you ever have a large order and need help with it, you'll find someone talented enough to help and learn how to do it. icon_smile.gif I know it's so hard that only 3 people in their shop can do it correctly. icon_wink.gif

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:00am
post #55 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

I agree with you both. I actually fell asleep watching it.

LOL so did I. I recorded it, and re watched it today and fell asleep again icon_lol.gif

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:05am
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabrooke

The part I found funny was that they have this big bakery,and they were using tiny bottles of Wilton color to color the icing for the Mardi Gras cupcakes!!

Oh yeah, and they totally did not know how to get the BC not to be bitter. But they use vinegar in their red velvet cupcakes Hmm. I think it was scripted with some bad acting.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #57 of 82

....i so wanted to like this show. it was just baaaad, and worse, it was boring. the "mommy" thing was just too much. intelligent women deliberatly acting stupid for tv was insulting and the last straw...not going to watch it again.

aaaaargh.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:26pm
post #58 of 82

I taught my daughter the 1M swirl in 5 minutes. She had never touched a piping bag before.

EvelynMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvelynMc Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #59 of 82

I'm in butter cream heaven! It's so nice to know I'm not alone in my opinion of these shows. I can't tell you how many people ask me for a cake with 2 days notice, and these are folks I work with at my full time office job. And did anyone catch "The Bakery Bunch"? More drama than cake, I don't know how they stay in business. Ironically, I just posted a blog about these shows this morning.

http://2chickscakesandcatering.wordpress.com/

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #60 of 82

OMG, Evelyn, that blog had me just rolling! icon_lol.gif I made hubby let me read the whole thing to him!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%