Need Frosting Flavor Opinion!

Decorating By SnugglePie Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm by ycknits

SnugglePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnugglePie Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone! I have a cake that I am doing for a friend today and I am having a hard time deciding on the flavor for my frosting. First of all the cake is a made from scratch chocolate and my filling is going to be a whipped chocolate ganache. So I was trying to decide on my frosting, I have a butter rum flavor I was thinking about using but I am not sure how the flavors will "mesh" along with the chocolate cake and the filling. So what do ya'll think? Butter rum icing or should I just stick with my normal vanilla flavored buttercream? Thank ya'll so much!!

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 9

I'm all for triple chocolate. haha.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 9

How about a white chocolate?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 9

I like almond flavor in both my vanilla and choc buttercream. Not a ton, just enough for people to ask 'what is that?'icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 9

what does the FRIEND like or prefer? icon_confused.gif

If it was up to me, I'd make everything vanilla because that is my ultimate favorite flavor (drives my kids nuts!). but the cake isn't for me ..... so what *I* like doesn't matter. It's all about what the client/friend/recipient likes.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:16am
post #6 of 9

Seriously, anything goes with chocolate. icon_smile.gif

When I can't do chocolate frosting because of the color, I tend to do citrus-flavored BC. This is largely because I almost always have orange juice and/or lemon juice in the fridge icon_smile.gif but it tastes really good, and people always love it because it's just a little bit unexpected.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 7:30am
post #7 of 9

yep truly anything goes with chocolate....even butter rum....but personally I like caramel.

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 9

I have to go with the almond as well! It's my old stand by! icon_wink.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 9

I sometimes use a little brown sugar in my buttercream when using with a chocolate cake. You have to cream it into the shortening VERY well to "dissolve" the sugar - but the effect is yummy. People always ask me what's in the icing. It gives it kind of a carmel-like flavor. This is really yummy with a cream-cheese icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%